338 UXS - 1956 Split Screen 2 door saloon

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rovcallum
MMOC Member: Yes

338 UXS - 1956 Split Screen 2 door saloon

Post by rovcallum »

Hi,

I am now the proud owner of my first Morris Minor. I have been given it by an elderly lady neighbour who wanted it to go to a good home.
So, I've done a little research and have a few questions for the well informed Forum Members...

The car was first registered on 7th November 1956, but has a Split Screen. Chassis number is 442753 so, one of the last 2000 of the Series II. Does this sound correct?

Also, the engine number.... V5 says "APHM H33654" and Cylinder Capacity of "950 cc" but has a 1098 cc engine fitted. Can't figure how that was so badly documented. Would the APHM engine be the original?

The badge on the side of the bonnet says "Minor 1000". Is this correct for the year?

Other than that, I'd be keen to know anyone who has had the car previously to build up some history to the car. Seems like the previous, previous owner was from Inverness.

Here are some pics taken the other day. I intend to bring it back to its former glory over the next few years and removing any non-period mods. If you see anything in the photos which is not part of a 1956 car, let me know. I have a few reference books but am still reading through them!

Looking forward to your replies.
Attachments
Rear.jpg
Rear.jpg (236.07 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
Front.jpg
Front.jpg (180.05 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
Engine Code.jpg
Engine Code.jpg (167.62 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
Dash.jpg
Dash.jpg (193.86 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
Bay.jpg
Bay.jpg (495.11 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
stevey
Minor Legend

Re: 338 UXS - 1956 Split Screen 2 door saloon

Post by stevey »

Hi there. You are right on all counts. Aphm would have been the original 803 cc engine but as you say yours has a 1098 fitted which looks like it might be a silver seal engine. The radiator is also a later one. Looks like a good project. Your grill and wheels would have been body colour and the heater switch would not have been on the dash. Good luck with your project. Keep us posted.

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Additional to the above, bonnet side badges should read 'MORRIS MINOR'. Perhaps a previous owner changed them to reflect the 1098 engine under the bonnet!

As Stevey says, heater switch should be on the heater casing itself beneath the dashboard not on the dash.

Registered after split-screen production ended. Only a couple of months so not surprising... probably lying around at a dealership awaiting first buyer.

Incorrect details on V5. Again no surprises. Numerous DVLA records errors mentioned on here from time to time. My own Series 2 has a 948cc gold seal engine. V5 shows correct engine number but c.c. is recorded as 998cc.

Great to be given a car like that. Good luck with it!
1956 4-door called Max
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

What a great gift! Your car looks pretty original really considering various owners will have kept it going to the best of their abilities for more than 60 years. Apart from the later engine it is quite likely to have had the later gearbox, back axle or possibly differential fitted as well? The wheels and hub caps might well be the later Minor 1000 ones too and the headlamps are not the original type. The most obvious "add-ons" not yet mentioned are the flashing indicators, wing mirrors, radio aerial, aftermarket fuel pump and GB badge(!). A later ignition coil has been fitted in the later (Minor 1000) position as well as many other engine related components. With time and effort, all the correct type parts can be sourced if that is your wish but most of us own cars which have had later parts fitted over time.

The registration number will not be original to the car if that was your reason for thinking it came from Scotland? Many re-issued registrations have a Scottish designation which is confusing. I expect the original registration was sold off many years ago.

Sadly the DVLA have recently made it much harder to trace the history of these cars but members here will be able to help with advice and maybe some parts too. Good luck with your project! The big question is.......What condition is it in underneath?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Very unusual place to have mounted the radio aerial!!

I have a 55 Series II and I eventually got my history details from the DVLA and there had been some errors over the years, including the chassis number.

See here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68615&hilit=dvla

You might find that the bonnet has been swapped at some time, hence the 'Minor 1000' badges instead of 'Morris Minor'; a pity as the Minor ones are still available but a lot more expensive than the latter ones.

If you persevere, you will eventually get to know what your original reg number was.

I have a 948 engine, but aside from that, I've no idea what other major mechanical components might have been changed.
Basil the 1955 series II

rovcallum

Post by rovcallum »

Wow, thanks for all the replies and the wealth of info.

The radio aerial will be removed. The extra rear indicators will also be removed in favour of something a little more "trick". Wing mirrors will also go. The wheel arches are blended into the bodywork which, although smooth, don't look right. The wings will probably get replaced. I suppose I'm in a good position financially in that I have yet to spend a penny on the car, so the budget for rebuild looks more favourable!
I'm also looking to change the colour to Clarendon Grey although my wife reckons black looks good.

I will eventually get the garage build finished and then start the project of rebuilding this fine old car.
Plan is to start restoration in the Spring 2019 - on the road Spring 2020.

Keep an eye out for the 338 UXS Restoration Thread......
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

If you want to keep to originality it's maybe worth remembering that split-screen rear wings are different (larger wheel arch cut-outs) and very hard to find. Later wings will still fit though.

Black always looks good on a Minor (OK I'm biased :D ). So does Clarendon Grey. Both go nicely with a red interior, but as we all know, black shows marks and stone chips all too well. A little less common and IMHO very nice with red interior is Sandy beige. In case you're not familiar with the colour, see link below.

https://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/cars- ... d=C1023148
1956 4-door called Max