Car painting with spray cans

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
normajay99
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Car painting with spray cans

Post by normajay99 »

We have decided to prep and repaint our Morris with aerosol cans, and wonder if anyone could advise us how many we will need to give it 2 coats? We dont want to risk buying too little, as need the same batch to ensure the same colour. Has anyone done this themselves and have they any tips on the correct procedures please?
kennatt
Minor Legend

Re: Car painting with spray cans

Post by kennatt »

if you mean a full car, roof bonnet etc don't consider it, apart from the cost ,you will never get an acceptable finish. You would be better using a brush or roller with coach paint(brushable cellulose). Or buy a cheap compressor and spray gun
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Tekaloid applied with a brush may be a better and less expensive option .
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I think you would need 25 cans of primer and 50 cans of top coat for a two coat finish. Although I doubt the finish you would get, would be worth the effort needed. The cost of the cans would be exorbitant.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

As others are saying, trying to spray a car with aerosols is a real no-no but, in the absence of an air compressor and all the accompanying paint-spraying gear, you could do worse than look at something like this:- 'Terratek Electric Paint Sprayer Hand Held Spray Gun System 650W'. Speaking from personal experience, they're perfectly capable of producing a very acceptable finish, given the usual caveats about meticulous preparation etc.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

just remember way back all coaches were painted with a brush,its gets a better coverage but requires a skill, to get a mirror finish, now lost .Spray painting came in because it uses less paint and is a lot quicker. There used to be a paint on the market called Re paint for brush use,where the brush marks flowed out to leave a flat surface,once painted a Morris 8 bonnet with it ...perfect finish. Not seen it for a long while ,but not involved in paintwork/renovation now,so may be a similar product. Ask at paint factors may be something on the market. see here https://paintman.co.uk/product-category ... mel-paint/
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

You can get most spray can finishes to a good finish by colour sanding, compounding and polishing. But it’s a hell of a lot of work and an expensive way to buy paint.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

I'm thinking of doing my camper van with roller applied Rustoleum, as on this link

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=18751

Seems that you can get good results if you put a lot of effort into preparation and flatting and polishing. (I have to do a lot of that when I'm spraying celly!)

You can get Rustoleum in a lot of RAL colours, but not, to the best of my knowledge, car manufacturer's colour codes. And once it's on you can't overpaint with normal car paint.

Mark
craigb
Minor Friendly

Post by craigb »

Spray cans are expensive when you consider how much actual paint is in those cans. Generally things can be had cheaper in the UK than australia as far as I can see, so I reckon you could probably buy very cheaply a capable direct drive compressor, with drier/filter and HVLP gun - I reckon I could get them here for less than $100. In the past you needed a decent size compressor to deliver enough air constantly but the newer HVLP design with the paint can on top and gravity feeding use a lot less air - and use a lot less paint in overspray etc. HVLP = high volume low pressure. Also I reckon they are a lot easier to use and have less issues of dry spraying, change in pattern, blockages etc. Expensive at first but I can't believe how cheaply they can be bought now - probably not the best quality but a lot better than a spray can and perfect for a one off job. I reckon you could get there in the end with spray cans but I reckon you could pay for the equipment many times over....... and when you are finished you have something you can pump your tyres up with! And of course don't forget that 90% of the quality of the finished job is in the preparation and having a perfectly smooth, unblemished 'canvas' to paint. Hope that helps
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

It is difficult and very expensive to buy paint here in France so I bought 12 cans of Ford Meadow Green from Halfords. My traveller was in a poor state with lots of different shades of green so anything would be better. Cost about £80.00
When I did my convertible in the eighties I hired an air blower and used two pack Truck paint. That did a wonderful job.
My Traveller IS dull and the paint is thin but at least it is all one colour now.
IMG_2065web.jpg
IMG_2065web.jpg (119.24 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
Tea
Minor Fan

Post by Tea »

We’ve just finished painting one of our cars, finishing with lacquer from spray cans. It took 9 cans (and a compressed nerve in my finger) to do one thin coat and two thick coats. After that we cut back with 1200 grit - 2500 grit wet and dry, compounding and polishing and we have come up with a near perfect, glass finish. Although time will tell how well the laquer lasts.
If you were to do all the paint layers with cans, you can guess from the 9 cans we used just on the lacquer how many it would take.
In case you decide to go for it, it’ll definitely be worth getting the spray can spraying aide to avoid a compressed nerve. It took 6 weeks to go back to normal :oops:
shoebone
Minor Fan

Post by shoebone »

No compressor required ...... :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qinZkdzOtCQ
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

shoebone wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:42 pm No compressor required ...... :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qinZkdzOtCQ
Might get a bit puffed doing a whole van.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

Any good synthetic coach finish, two people with Hamilton perfection 2" brushes. Preparation is everything. Ready with a tacky rag, wait until it rains, temperature between 50 and 55 deg. F in old money. Push the car outside and get stuck in.( You need 2 people to keep the edges going when you get to the top sides and the back.) I kept my 3 Morris cars going for 40 years like that. Doors, Bonnet and wings are easy, one at a time. when finished leave for 3 days and don't polish it for at least 2 months. Happy days!!!
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I have seen a mini painted with an Earlex HVLP spray gun kit which looked quite good considering the kit only cost around £50, I have 2 Sealey HVLP gravity spray guns that work very well and use low CFM, The spray cans are OK but never seem to give a good depth of paint.