Dial indicator gauge

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rhys Phipps
MMOC Member: No

Dial indicator gauge

Post by Rhys Phipps »

Hi
New to the mmoc, just started to tear down my 65 minor for a full restoration. Getting ready to rebuild my engine. Does anyone know if the magnetic stands mess with the gauge? I've seen some specifically advertised for use with the magnetic stands.

Any help would be appreciated. :)
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Dial indicator gauge

Post by philthehill »

No the magnetic stands do not mess with the mechanical dial indicator gauges I use.

Unless you are intending to build a race engine especially with variable valve timing duplex there is absolutely no need to use a dial gauge when rebuilding the 'A' Series.

When building my performance engines I use at least two dial gauges and a timing disk on the front of the crankshaft to get everything just right.

I recently bought a very good quality magnetic dial gauge stand similar to the one in the link below.
Timing the cam 1.jpg
Timing the cam 1.jpg (370.07 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustable-M ... SwyElcv7C8

It is good in that turning the knob on the arm slackens all of the joints making it very easy to set up.

Rhys Phipps
MMOC Member: No

Post by Rhys Phipps »

Thanks for the quick reply Phil :)
I was looking to get one to get my end float perfect (instead of using a feeler gauge) and to get my top dead centre on the timing, i'm a bit of a perfectionist and just wanted to get the rebuild just right. Do you find they still run smoothly doing the timing by eye?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

So long as you get the timing marks aligned you will be alright.
You can adjust the timing gears using offset woodruff keys but I am not a fan of using them as the more the offset is required the amount of metal between the cam gear and the camshaft is reduced. To me not good engineering practice. That is why I use vernier adjustable timing gears which will require at least two dial gauges to set the valve timing.
Crankshaft end float can be measured and adjusted using a feeler gauge.

Phil

Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Just started to look at my 1275 build and looks like the Marina timing (No1 I/L opens ) at 5 BTDC , and the Ital is 9 BTDC and with my camwheel , the best I can do is 0 BTDC and 18 BTDC ( if I'm right and 1 tooth is 18 degrees ) , then it's off to the Vernier Pulley shop for me..

John ;-)