Radiator and front grill

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Propshaft
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Radiator and front grill

Post by Propshaft »

Hi. I am half way through a full restoration on a 1959 two door could someone confirm which parts of the radiator is painted it must be the original it still has the brass plaque stating morris motors ltd radiators branch osberton works oxford . Also is the back face of the grill painted black or body colour and also the colour of the radiator surround
Thanking you in anticipation
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Radiator and front grill

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I believe that in 1959 the wheels and front grill (both sides) were both still body colour. I believe the radiator support panel should be body colour also. The radiator itself should be black.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

1959 saw the introduction of off white wheels and grille. I think initially the colour used was actually Pearl Grey but most people use Old English White now. The outer grille surround panel and the radiator mounting panel were sprayed in body colour but the parts visible through the grille slats should be painted black. The radiators were always finished in black. As you suggest, the original radiators were made at Morris radiators - part of the Nuffield Empire and formerly Osberton Radiators - off Woodstock Road in Oxford.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

1959 saw the introduction of off white wheels and grille.
I stand corrected.
As the chap is after originality though it might be good to establish whether he should paint his wheels and grill slats Pearl Grey or Old English White.
Perhaps someone on here can confirm?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

It may be possible to establish the original colour by rubbing down through the layers of paint?
However, as I said earlier, Pearl Grey (code GR 10 and a very pale grey) was generally used in 1959 for wheels and grilles so that is what I would use in the absence of evidence to the contrary.

The OP also asks which parts of the radiator should be painted I think? The radiator should be completely covered with paint. They were probably dipped originally. The brass components were soldered on prior to painting.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Every radiator I've seen, be it Minor 1000 or Series 2 hightop, has always been completely black, including the brass fittings.
The question I would ask is: Did they all have the warning message stencilled on them (as in right from the first MM radiators through to the 1000 radiators, which I know did)?
Best wishes,
Mike.
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Thanks for all your replies just to clarifie is the top rail which houses the bonnet release mechanism is that also in body colour
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

the top rail which houses the bonnet release mechanism is that also in body colour
On every car I've seen yes.
Best wishes,
Mike.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Yes. The radiator mounting panel should be body colour. As stated earlier, only the area visible through the grille slats should be painted black.

Regarding the stencilled warning message: I do not know when that was introduced. Going from memory, I have only actually seen it on Minor 1000s.
Attachments
Tony front panel assembled.JPG
Tony front panel assembled.JPG (300.94 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Thanks one and all