Windscreen Replacement and chrome metal insert

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bubblemechanic
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Windscreen Replacement and chrome metal insert

Post by Bubblemechanic »

Hi out there I am looking for information on replacing the windscreen and the chrome metal insert of my 1963 Morris Traveller I took the screen out one because the scren rubber was perished and cracked and also was spaying the car so thought it a good idea to remove the screen. now a getting ready to put it back have found out there is not a tool to replace the metal chrome insert back so was wondering if there is anybody out there that has done this job successfully and how was it done?
Cheers hope someone can help Bubblemechanic
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Windscreen Replacement and chrome metal insert

Post by kennatt »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Windscreen-Ins ... B00BFDEV3S various types can be done without but much,much easier with the tool.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

The tool shown above is for the later plastic insert. It is not suitable for the metal trim fitted to a 1963 car.
When I did my car, I fitted the new rubber to the windscreen and then fitted the metal trim parts using a variety of tools - finding that an old blunt screwdriver was the most helpful. Having got the trims fitted into the rubber (helped by using a rubber lubricant) I then put a length of cable all the way around the groove in the rubber long enough to provide a good overlap. Myself and a mate placed the assembly into the aperture from outside the car and then, using the cable, pulled the rubber surround over the metal lip into the car inch by inch. I think the procedure is described better than I can in the workshop manual but I found that fitting the trims into the rubber BEFORE fitting the screen was the best way.
Bubblemechanic
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Bubblemechanic »

Thank you for all that info very helpful and will try that because I took the original trim out carefully without twisting it etc I think it will go back. Then have a go at your method and see what happens
Thank you very much Bubblemechanic.