Gear Stick Retaining Plate

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bubblemechanic
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Gear Stick Retaining Plate

Post by Bubblemechanic »

Hello could anyone tell me 1st why is there 4 holes in the retaining plate that holds the gear stick into the gear box and 2nd why does it not line up and correspond with the 4 holes on the gear box. If you have got the slot in the right orientation so the slot runs in line with the gear box then you get the three bolts in the fourth hole is by the hole for the brass plunger and spring. I spent quite some time trying to get all 4 holes to line up no success. Cheers to anyone who can help Paul.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Gear Stick Retaining Plate

Post by philthehill »

The gear lever retaining plate is only secured by three bolts.

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Bubblemechanic wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:53 pm Hello could anyone tell me 1st why is there 4 holes in the retaining plate that holds the gear stick into the gear box and 2nd why does it not line up and correspond with the 4 holes on the gear box. If you have got the slot in the right orientation so the slot runs in line with the gear box then you get the three bolts in the fourth hole is by the hole for the brass plunger and spring. I spent quite some time trying to get all 4 holes to line up no success. Cheers to anyone who can help

As Phil has said the gear lever retaining plates have 3 holes, the bottom plate on the remote housing has 4 holes.
Attachments
Remote housing lower plate
Remote housing lower plate
20200716_185839.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 2421 times
Retaining plate slot
Retaining plate slot
20200716_185816.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 2421 times
Retaining plate
Retaining plate
20200716_185718.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 2421 times
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Your gearbox may be slightly different as mine is an MG Box but the principal is the same.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Paul, do you have a standard Minor engine and gearbox, or has it had a modification? As others have said, the standard box will have three bolts, but you might have a different box. If you do, then the reason that it has four bolts is because that's what the designer thought it needed.

Just wondering, do you mean why are there four holes in the flange of the casing, but only three holes for bolts in the plate?
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

stk.jpg
stk.jpg (174.23 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
One like this?
Cardiff, UK
Bubblemechanic
Minor Friendly

Post by Bubblemechanic »

The bottom photo is the same as mine it has 4 holes but only three line up and the fourth hole ends up over the side hole where the spting and brass plunger goes. But I have 4 holes in the top of the gear box and only 3 of those are tapped for the bolts the other hole has no threads at all so everything is a bit confusing why would they go to the trouble of drilling 4 holes in the gear box and retaining plate when only 3 line up.
taupe
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by taupe »

I'm just rebuilding a rib case gearbox which has this extra hole like in Robs pic above.....It looks to me to be a drain hole to stop oil or water collecting and running into the gear selectors and there is a slight cut away cast in the alloy below the spare hole to allow this to drain away...

Taupe