Creamy oil

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Classiccars
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Creamy oil

Post by Classiccars »

Opened my 1275 rocker cover to reveal a stamping saying K1.Would like to know what it means.Also oil is creamy .Am I right that this means the head gasket is blown please
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Creamy oil

Post by philthehill »

A photo of the K1 casting number would be appreciated. The 'A' Series head has several casting numbers which are related to the casting batch but have no real relevance to the end product.

Just because the oil is creamy does not mean that the head gasket has failed. It may be that the engine is not getting hot enough. The rocker cover acts as a heat exchanger and some oils emulsifies quicker than others. If the engine is getting not hot any damp inside the engine hits the rocker cover and turns to cream.
There used to be available a deflector plate you could fit in front of the rocker cover to deflect cold air away from the rocker cover to reduce emulsification.

Wurzlejock
MMOC Member: No

Post by Wurzlejock »

Yes I've had a bit of mayonnaise on my standard engine '66 convertible. I wondered about one of those muffs people used to fit on the grille back in the day. I also ordered up a combination radiator cap and temperature gauge but when it came from China it was too small. I took it all apart, ( beautifully made) and installed the gauge with the sender in the folds at the side of the rad. I can now monitor engine heat though of course you have to open the bonnet to do so. My dad used to attach cardboard to the front of our Hillman Minx in the winter to improve heater output. Amazing to think Lord Nuffield would not fit heaters originally and said " If you're cold wear a coat and hat!".
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Thanks for that.might just leave it and change the old oil and see what happens.
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Thanks will see if I can remember to photo the stamping
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Amazing to think Lord Nuffield would not fit heaters originally and said " If you're cold wear a coat and hat!".
Hi,
I thought Sir William Lyons, founder of Jaguar, said that?
Maybe they both did, I imagine they were both from the same generation.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)