Not what they used to be!

Found a Minor in a scrapyard? Let us all know about it and exactly where it can be found.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Not what they used to be!

Post by ampwhu »

ive visited a couple of the above mentioned. I know the pease pottage yard is still there, but didn't know Chobham still existed. may have to visit.

never knew of the one in Chessington, was it down chalky lane or green lane? never knew of the one in new malden, my mum still lives there.

ive seen the one in somerset on the A303.
cococola
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by cococola »

I used to visit a scrapyard in Hockley Heath which was a good old fashioned place, I climbed 2 cars to remove a pair of front wings for my 1st car a Renault 4, at the same time filling my toolbox with switches and fixings!
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Where was that in Hockley Heath please , I know the area well from the 1950s through to now but I cant place it . Just curious !
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

The one in Chessington was on the Leatherhead Road opposite Garrison Lane and the one in New Malden was in South Lane.
[img]jpg[/img]
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

Shropshiremoggie wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:43 am Where was that in Hockley Heath please , I know the area well from the 1950s through to now but I cant place it . Just curious !
If you turn right off the Stratford Road in Hockley Heath village by the old Pearsons Hardware stores down school road and follow the road to the end (Illshaw Heath) and it was just on the crossroads junction on the right.
It was built on about 20 years ago now with about 5 houses and I ventured down there from the village in the early 80s and 90s It was a typically muddy yard of those times but an aladdin's cave of goodies.
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Thanks for that , the whole area has changed so much . In the mid 60s my favourite watering hole was the Navigation followed by the Boot !! Thanks again for the reminder !!!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I just Google Earthed a site about 7 miles from me where you could still have a rummage for your own bits to take off, although they only had 'modern' cars.
I last went there about 2-3 years ago to get a bit for my daughter's Vauxhall.
The satellite image from late last year is a totally cleared site.... :cry:
Basil the 1955 series II

leafie

Post by leafie »

les wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:52 am Ahh many a good day had removing parts from the car on top of two others! Where did it all go wrong?
At least we had them days, before it all went silly.
Memories of Saturday mornings back when I could climb on to the bonnet of one car to get to another without making peculiar noises. 😊
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Back in the '80s I spent so long getting the brakes off an Ital or Marina for my Minor that the place closed without me realising. A guard dog on a chain stared at me angrily but silently until I dropped my pile of bits and it went mental. Thankfully the owners were still around counting their money and the chain held.

Perhaps it was the general suspicion of teenagers on their part but breakers in Essex always seemed to be run by caracature villains as a money laundering operation.
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

back in the '70's there was a fantastic scrapyard in Whetstone,Leicestershire. owner was Tommy Simpson,and there was stacks of pre-war cars there,as well as all the '50's and later stuff rotting away.famously,one lad we knew paid Tommy £5 for a BSA A7ss motorbike combo got it home and got it running! Tommy was a proper character,his office was a big tin hut with a fire blazing away,and a herd of cats roaming around :lol:
also used to be a good lorry scrappy in Oadby on the A6,next to the Oadby Owl pub.lot's of Atkinson's Leyland's etc.,and owned by Rush Green Motors,a famous Lorry scrapyard that is still operating.