Low Light Headlamp Parts

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nourish
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Low Light Headlamp Parts

Post by Nourish »

Hi. I asked this question in a post in Electrical but no replies so thought I'd try here.
Rim Rubber.jpg
Rim Rubber.jpg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 5585 times
Can any one tell me what the rubber fittings should look like that fit into the rim - what have you used?
Nourish
Minor Fan

Re: Low Light Headlamp Parts

Post by Nourish »

Also -
Rim Pivot.jpg
Rim Pivot.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 5582 times
This is the inboard pivot that bolts to the grill panel bracket.
Is there something missing here? I think there should be something here to locate it in the slotted bracket along with the bolt?
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

Is there a parts list drawing for these lamps?
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

Rubber on mine was just a bit of thin wall rubber tube over the bent bit of metal. Enough to be a slack fit in the hole in the chrome ring.
ll1.JPG
ll1.JPG (96.24 KiB) Viewed 5541 times
Cardiff, UK
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

Thanks Rob - Do you think they are original fitment?
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

So nobody has a low light?
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Much as I'm loathed to say it, try the facebook page, this messageboard used to be brilliant...........
Then it gradually got less and less reliable (crashing etc.)....
So people seem to have stopped using it, some have switched to facebook. Search for Mike Dean / MMOC.
Hopefully one day it will regain it's reliability but then it will need to get the membership back on board with it.
Having never owned a Lowlight myself I am unable to help you.
Good luck and best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

I used the little rubbers that come in new brake cylinders to keep them clean in storage and just cut the top off it, it fitted in perfectly and once the lamp is in place they are not seen. They are sort of top hat shaped.

As Jagnut says, not many use this site these. Have a look at the Morris Minor Series MM page on facebook, we have around 1200 members on there mostly with sidevalve cars.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/139924039959670//

Too many Minors so little time.....
sparesman
Minor Fan

Post by sparesman »

David
Not everyone wants to use Facebook. I find it very difficult to use with so many different pages relating to the Minor. I also cannot find in one place all the messages that are sent to me so that I can reply to them whereas here it is easy to find any messages plus they come through into my email account.
1934 Morris 10/4 in Dark Green / Black - BGO517
1953 S11 Traveller in Birch Grey - oldest survivor ? Export model now reg PPO924
1953 S11 Traveller in Black - 3rd oldest in UK PPX344
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

sparesman wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:46 pm David
Not everyone wants to use Facebook. I find it very difficult to use with so many different pages relating to the Minor. I also cannot find in one place all the messages that are sent to me so that I can reply to them whereas here it is easy to find any messages plus they come through into my email account.
I appreciate that Bryan, but unfortunately the forum hasnt many visitors these days, personally I used to log on every day, now its probably around once a month.

Too many Minors so little time.....
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

What can be done about this lethargy on the forum?
I have an aversion to things like FaceBook, so wouldn't want to use it - social media? No security.

George.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

You George have a Low Light - did you help with my enquiry - well I had to resort to the Facebook sites because no one would answer my questions :cry:
Don't sit on your hands and leave it to others - you need to be involved
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Unable to log in for several days.

No idea if they were original. Too many owners. Morris wouldn't have spent much money on the components so it would be sensible to use rubber tubing on a car designed to last just a few years.
Cardiff, UK
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

Nourish wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:46 am You George have a Low Light - did you help with my enquiry - well I had to resort to the Facebook sites because no one would answer my questions :cry:
Don't sit on your hands and leave it to others - you need to be involved
Hello "nourish" - I've only just seen your post. This forum is going down the tubes, which is a very great shame as I, over my years of membership, have learnt a lot and also put in a lot.
If we don't get notified of new posts what can we do? I don't have time to log in every day as I have other organisations that I belong to that do send notifications.

And to answer you - I have been greatly involved since 2013 and most of my informative posts with detailed photographs of repairs and workarounds, have been LOST by the MMOC due to website migrations.
I had a load of problems with refitting my headlamps and will have to go through my photo archive to see what I did to get the lamps refitted.

Regards, George.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.