Cape Town to London 2008

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
johnlowlight
MMOC Member: No

Cape Town to London 2008

Post by johnlowlight »

Hi My name is John Birkett from Pinelands in cape Town. I recently acquired a 1950 sidevalve. It is fairly original, but has a new fuelpump and voltage regulator. I belong to the Western cape branch of the MMOC. i attended our national rally in Bloemfontein in March, although I had to tow "Betty" on a trailer as she is much slower than the other Minors. I have been thinking a great deal about 2008. It will be the 60th Anniversary of the Morris Minor(Post war) and I wondered what events you would be having in the UK to mark the occassion. I thought that it would be a good idea to pull together a number of Moggies and drive up from Cape Town through Africa to Cairo and then ferry across to Greece and then motor across Europe and join in the festivities. Please let me know what you think.

John
birkettj@intekom.co.za or patbirkett@mweb.co.za
doobry
Minor Friendly

Post by doobry »

I thought that it would be a good idea to pull together a number of Moggies and drive up from Cape Town through Africa to Cairo and then ferry across to Greece and then motor across Europe and join in the festivities. Please let me know what you think.
Wow!!! I think I'd be very jealous of anyone who did that!!
paulk
Minor Legend

Post by paulk »

Is it possible?

I mean in the sense that are the roads good enough ?

I must admit my knowledge of the subject is miniscule to nothing but I would love to do something like this. Especially if a trip through Bulawayo was possible (My Dad grew up there)

Some friends of mine have just come back from a trip down to SA in a landy. Here is their Blog womblingafrica.blogspot.com

I wonder if yellowmog could handle 7000miles. :D

I'll watch this spot with interest :P

Ps the ally storage boxes under the car are ones I made :lol:
Paulk

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b359/paulk235/DSCF0807.jpg[/img]
1959 2dr Milly
Has now sat in back garden for 5 years :(
http://www.sadmog.morrisminor.com/
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

If I were you I would start out now! You should make it by 2008.
If you are serious then I would try to contact other Minor owners who have undertaken long expeditions and get their advice.
Best of luck
Michael Perry
Series MM Register