Distributor overhaul

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Distributor overhaul

Post by alanworland »

I am overhauling my original distributor which has not been fitted to the car for years because the diecast body had come loose from the main clamped shaft! however thats all fixed now (hope) and I am replacing the oilite bushes which are quite badly worn but are they an odd size or what.
Anybody had anything to do with replacing these?
Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

Hiya,if you have access to a small lathe I would suggest you make them yourself.Never had to replace them but cant be too difficult.Just do it:D.All the best,John.
Power to your Pistons,Johnnydoome.
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Hi, I agree it's not difficult to replace the bushes as I have lathe access, but they are a really odd size neither imperial (I would have thought) nor metric!
I was hoping to just buy and fit a pair of new oilites.
Alan
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

It should be possible Alan as there are a few places selling rebuilt Dizzies do a search or go to a large general rally as they are often available at those types of events, Luton Festival of Transport springs to mind.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

The only problem with buying new bushes is the dizzie shaft could be worn,so the bushes may be a sloppy fit.Maybe better to make them and ensure a good fit.Just my opinion.All the best,John.
Power to your Pistons,Johnnydoome.
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I did in the end get hold of some metric bushes which were too big on the OD and too small on the ID and I turned them to fit (I know its not good to m/c oilites but what I had wasn't much good!) and yes the shaft is worn and unfortunatly the bush needs to go over the unworn bit to get to the bit that it needs to and as a result there is still some 'shake' but it is a lot better than it was. Alan
tortron
Minor Fan

Re: Distributor overhaul

Post by tortron »

Just been searching for info on the mm distributors.
It looks like the body of mine has come loose from the shaft as well! (can rock the bowl of the distributor slightly when the shaft is clamped)

How did you go about sticking it back together? I assume it is pressed in place
tbucketmad
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Distributor overhaul

Post by tbucketmad »

I just got a quote from h&h ignition solutions to bebuild my mm dizzy 100 quid so that will be off soon and they mcan fit electronic ignition fo r a bit more money