Tick tick click

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alan.bartrum
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Tick tick click

Post by alan.bartrum »

Hi my fuel pump is now starting to annoy. It has always clicked but now it does it pretty much all the time, or it just stops for no reason, no noise nothing.

Any ideas?

I also have a small tap type thing on the end near the wing which moves but I am not sure what it is there for, can't see it in any diagrams.

Alan
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

It's supposed to tick when it's working. If the engine runs but the pump ticks all the time even when the engine is stopped, that could mean the inlet check valve isn't sealing properly. Is the "small tap thing" a knob on the end of the pump with a wire terminal underneath it? If so it should be screwed down finger-tight.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Fuel Pump tick

Post by mike.perry »

Things to check:- What is the weather like?? If it is hot and the engine is hot this can cause fuel vapourisation on a series MM which causes the fuel pump to tick rapidly.

Is the pump old and worn out? If so it may not be pumping properly which would also cause rapid ticking or stopping all together. Solution change the pump.

Is the carburretor dripping? The float valve may be sticking or the jet seals are leaking causing the fuel pump to try to keep the fuel level up.

Is there a leak on the inlet side of the system, between the fuel tank and pump? Disconnect the electrics to the pump, disconnect the fuel pipe to the carb, switch on ignition, put finger over end of fuel pipe, reconnect electric wire to pump. If the pump keeps ticking you have a leak.

GIVE UP SMOKING WHILST YOU'RE TRYING THESE TESTS!!!

Best of luck..
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

GIVE UP SMOKING WHILST YOU'RE TRYING THESE TESTS
Why???? :roll: :roll: :roll:
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

It harms you, and those around you. Or something...
alan.bartrum
Minor Friendly

Post by alan.bartrum »

Hi Chaps

Thanks for the tips, I will give them a try. :D

The small tap type thing seems like a connector of sorts and moves from a 3 o clock position to a 6 o clock position. It is situated on the bulkhead side of the pump underneat and to the right of the contact on the end. It probably does nothing but I haven't found it in my manuals.