Drivers Side Quater Light Assembly Wanted

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moggs222
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Drivers Side Quater Light Assembly Wanted

Post by moggs222 »

I am looking for a quater light assembly including the hinge assembly,catches and the seal that fits into the door frame. This is the early type of quater light assembly fitted to my 1951 low light. A previous owner stripped the drivers door out and lost all of the bits and just left me with the bare frame.
53 Postal Van, 53 Telephone Van, 54 Telephone Van, 58 Saloon, 65 Pick up, 68 Traveller, 68 Van, 70 AA Van, 71 Police Car, 72 Telephone Van.........
oliver-morrisminor
Minor Fan

quarter light rubbers + others

Post by oliver-morrisminor »

Dear moggs22,
I read your posting re the quarter lights.
You will find it difficult, if not impossible to get nerw Series MM Quater light window rubber seal.

A friend of mine & I here in Australia, is looking at getting them remanufactured, however this could be a few months down the track. If you are interested, please send me your email address and I will notify you of the availability and the cost as time draws nearer.

We will also be re-manufacturing Twin Carb manifolds for the Sidevalves and a few impossible bits and pieces for the Series MM Tourer Conversions. ( Side screens, trim pieces etc)

Regards Oliver Borg
oliver-morrisminor
Brisbane Southside Morris Minor Car Club Inc (Queensland - AUSTRALIA)
www.morrisminorspares.biz/
1950 Series MM Tourer
1960 MM1000 2 Door 1500cc Nissan & running gear
stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by stevey »

out of curiosity did the quarter light assembly changg to the later type by 1951?

oliver-morrisminor
Minor Fan

I am pretty sure that the Original MM
type 1/4 windows was fitted up until
the first of the Series II, and that would be 1953.

Maybe this link may help?
http://www.morrisdownunder.com/forum/vi ... php?t=2863
oliver-morrisminor
1950 Series MM Tourer
NRX
Minor Friendly

Post by NRX »

Hi

Just wondering did any new mm rubbers get made at all
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Hi Oliver,
My '52 MM has the later M1000 type quarter lights. My parts book seems to indicate that the quarter light design changed at car no 111546 which is late 1951
[sig]3580[/sig]
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Early MMs had no external upper hinge, the pivot being a pin inside of the frame. Ought to possible to make one, but the rubber seal might be the problem. I'll have a look at the ones in the shed when it stops raining. Do your frames have holes to screw in the little cast pivot for the top hinge or not?
Cardiff, UK
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The hinge pins on the early quarterlights are in a different position to the later ones, more central. They have a knack of scraping your knuckles on the steering wheel when they are opened. The catches are also a different shape.
[sig]3580[/sig]
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Just had a look at the lowlight. The frame has 2 screw holes in the side of the frame for the hinge whilst I THINK the later cars with the external hinge have the screw holes in the upper face of the frame.

I have a lowlight here with a rotten frame but the other bits are OK. If I decide to go with the later stainless frames then I'll let you know.

Mike. Didn't the early MMs have chromed steel frames and the later MMs have painted ones? Was that changed at the same time? I really ought to find that big book with the pretty pictures in it. I wonder where the kids put it?<br>Image<br>
Cardiff, UK
NRX
Minor Friendly

Post by NRX »

rob

please if you do go with mnor 1000 frames Iwould gladly purchase the rubbers and the other bits as my mm frames are perfect but missing the rubber. Let me know an I will forward my em add to you

Thanks martin
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Rob,
The Series MM in the background has the later M1000 quarter lights, I can see the external top hinge, and the car in the foreground looks to have the curved catch of the early quarterlights. A pity the photo doesn't show the whole quarter light.
I believe that the early MMs had chrome window surrounds. probably changed when there was a chrome shortage, painted hubcaps, and stayed painted.
Have a look through the website photo galleries and Ray's "Original Morris Minor"
[sig]3580[/sig]
NRX
Minor Friendly

Post by NRX »

hi mine is the early one but is painted. its on a 1950 car lowlight
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Here is another pic. Too dark to get another close-up tonight. Screws on the side of the frame and a curved latch handle. Early MM. Chrome was peeling off so taped with sticky stuff and replaced on the other side with a later frame.<br>Image<br>
Cardiff, UK
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

RobThomas wrote:and replaced on the other side with a later frame.
Not a later frame, it is still the early MM one but is a painted one as the original chrome on that side was missing when i got the car and painted was all i had to keep the original style quaterlights, the passengers quaterlight was also missing so this also came from another vehicle :wink:
oliver-morrisminor
Minor Fan

My friend John, is having the early Series MM Quarter light window rubbers made. the Dies have been manufactured.
However, he is waiting for the Aussie Dollar to get over $0.85 US, which will make a difference to the price. We are at $0.83 US now, so it should not be long!
oliver-morrisminor
1950 Series MM Tourer
NRX
Minor Friendly

Post by NRX »

Oliver Ive sent you a pm if you get any made

Martin