Series MM rev counter?!

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
WPR678B
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by WPR678B »

callyspoy wrote:do you have many of the dash centres kicking about??
I should have some about that have had holes cut in them before so it just depends on where YOU want the holes. I'm sure to have some un-cut one's as well but it seems a shame to cut a good original! :roll:
callyspoy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by callyspoy »

yes i know what you mean! i've got two here, one with a 2.5inch hole and one with a 2inch hole. now i need one with two 2inch holes! side by side if possible! if not i'll just bodge mine i guess...
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Re: Series MM rev counter?!

Post by RobThomas »

A bit late, I know.

Here is the C39 PV2 Extended drive dynamo with a threaded end to take a revcounter drive gearbox. All I have to do now is to break into Carlo's house and steal his dial.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi Rob
Looking at your engine I can see the twin inlet and 4 branch exhaust manifold How did it go, is it finished and have you any photos. If fitted how does it go,did you lose the minor parp
Regards Ian

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

The engineis, as you can see above, still on the trolley on the floor. The shell won't be back here for maybe a week and then it will be time to start paining before I get any mechanicals on. The manifold works alright but I've decided to do a different one with similar exhaust pipes but a different intake.
Cardiff, UK
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I have a pair of H2s ready to fit on my MM, not sure if they will be too big, a single H2 may be enough, it all depends on how much the engine breathing has been improved. Just need the 4 branch exhaust and I can use my Vedette engine to bolt everything and check that it all fits before transferring it to the car
[sig]3580[/sig]
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Carlo.

Did you ever sell that revcounter? I ask because I found a front timing cover for the MM with a boss on it over the end of the camshaft that looks like it might have been designed to take a 90 degree drive. I was wondering if maybe your revcounter dial worked at 1/2 crank speed?

Rob

PS The Alta engine we bought has been positively identified as the one from...[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

This topic continues as Mechanical Rev Counter Drive (See Mechanical)[frame]Image[/frame]
[sig]3580[/sig]
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

RobThomas wrote:Carlo.

Did you ever sell that revcounter? I ask because I found a front timing cover for the MM with a boss on it over the end of the camshaft that looks like it might have been designed to take a 90 degree drive. I was wondering if maybe your revcounter dial worked at 1/2 crank speed?

Rob

PS The Alta engine we bought has been positively identified as the one from...[frame]Image[/frame]
Hi Rob,

Great to see you back on here, its been a while! :D

I still have the original rev counter here but I see that some copy faces have been made now from the pictures I originally posted. Not sure on the ratio of it though? :-?

Drop me a PM if you like as it would be great to hear an update on the tourer.

Excellent news on the engine identification though 8)

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The face on my rev counter is 1600 tpm so it would read correctly at 3000rpm = 45mph.
I need to know the dynamo revs:engine revs and the speedo drive gear to pinion ratio
Can you let me or Graham Holt have the Alta Engine number so that he can keep his records updated
[sig]3580[/sig]
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Mike. Hello again! It has been a while.

The 2 revcounters I have are not based on speedos, one being electronic and the other is driven from the dynamo and thus turns at a constant ratio with the crankshaft. The black revcounter face shows a 3:1 ratio which ties in with the ratio between the size of the 2 pulleys multiplied by the gear ratio of the 2 components in the reduction gearbox on the back of the dynamo.
Cardiff, UK
orb596
Minor Fan

Re:

Post by orb596 »

oliver-morrisminor wrote:I don't know if this helps but I once saw these advertised on ebay.<br>Image<br>
I bought these - they are in the cupboard out in the garage. I hope to use them one day! :D
Laurie Blewer
MMOC member since 1986
Dorset Branch Secretary for ever!!!!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I have fitted a dynamo with a mechanical drive takeoff and checked the crankshaft/dynamo pulley ratios, the dynamo pulley does 3 turns to 2 crankshaft pulley turns therefore I need a 3:2 reduction box?? Are these available?
[sig]3580[/sig]