sidevalve con rod markings

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
NRX
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

sidevalve con rod markings

Post by NRX »

hi im re building my sidevalve engine in my 1950 lowlight. On one of the conrods just above the cranckshaft bearing there is the german flag mark the other three all are marked sdf. All the con rods have mowog cast onto them but why has this one got a differnt mark ?

<br>Image<br><br>Image<br>
Last edited by NRX on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Absolutely no idea! Where did the con rods come from? Are they ex military stock?
Could you send me the details of your car for the register please
[sig]3580[/sig]
NRX
Minor Friendly

Post by NRX »

Hi Mike
Cam has just updated my car details after talking to him in Wales 1950 lowlight saloon OJO779. It was owned by someone in S block at Morris cowley who still had it in 1962 when a goldseal engine was fitted by Morris Motors of Oxford. I boght it about 2 years ago from banbury where I believe it was last on the road in 1974
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

The Nazi Swastika was the other way round.
Your Swastika is like the Egyptian good luck symbol.
Probably cast by the lucky con rod foundry in Cairo :)
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

I don't think that the germans regard that as their flag anymore (Well, most of them) :lol:

There is a Casting company in India that have been in business since the 1950s and they cast car components. Their name is "The Swastika Group" so it may be that they manufactured a batch of rods?

http://www.aluminiumcasting.net/profile.html
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Problem solved. Morris Motors used a UK casting company that had the good-luck symbol on their conrods as a feature to improve reliability (???) and this carried on until the 1940s when they dropped the mark for obvious reasons. Likewise, Jaguar cars was previously known as SS Cars which wouldn't have been good for business in the late 1940s.
MG WA, VA and SA cars have also found these marks which are the Indian versions. The Nazi symbol is a clockwise shape, not anticlockwise, and is rotated 45 degrees.

I'd put money on your rod being a 1939 Morris 8E one that got recycled
Cardiff, UK
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

You must have some interesting references
[sig]3580[/sig]
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

SDF is Smethwick Drop Forged, the largest Conrod manufacturer in the UK.

http://www.sdf-auto.co.uk/about%20us.html
info@sdf-auto.co.uk <info@sdf-auto.co.uk>

Might be a bit of company history in there that would be of use? I wonder if they might be conned into producing a new batch of decent rod bolts for us as a favour??
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

It gets better. A quick phonecall got me through to a chap who has a passing interest in company history. He has a "Dropforgers against Nazis" stamp from the 1939 era before the reverse swastika was removed from the company logo. He is sending me a copy when he can find an inkpad.
If anyone can supply a casting mark, serial number, part number or similar then he will try to hunt down the spec sheet from which we can get new bolts made up.

Can anyone post me their casting numbers?

Cheers
Cardiff, UK
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Maybe SDF would make some with extra good luck symbols like 4 leaf clover, rabbits foot or "lucky heather" :D .
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

As I mentioned in another topic, plenty of conrods around with bolts. Nothing wrong with the bolts provided they are torqued up to Series MM settings not Series II figures which are too high and stretch the threads.
See website Tech. Info for settings.
[sig]3580[/sig]
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Does anyone have bolts without rods? I've got some spare new rods but no extra bolts to replace the ones already in my engines and, possibly, already rather stretched.
Cardiff, UK
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Rob, PM sent. Please let me know if not received
[sig]3580[/sig]
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Hmmmm. Nothing there.
Cardiff, UK
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Rob, I don'tknow what is wrong with my PMs, they never seem to get through. Send me your email address. mike.perry@mmoc.org.uk.
[sig]3580[/sig]
NRX
Minor Friendly

Post by NRX »

All my con rods now back in the engine just got to refit the crank then the sump goes back on. All marks will then be hidden from view until the next rebuild. Could be a bit as according to the last bill when this goldseal engine was fitted that was 1962. Hope so anyway
Martin
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Ive just about got mine run in after rebuilding it, going much better and well worth the effort of rebuilding!

Too many Minors so little time.....
NRX
Minor Friendly

Post by NRX »

never had mine running as it the car was bought stripped with the engine on the back seat and the gearbox in the front footwell. So really looking forward after a 2 year rebuild to get it out on the open road again. Pic shows car at north lincs club rally body done but no engine / gearbox or interior.

Martin<br>Image<br>
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Its looking sooooper!! Looks like a great paint job and fantastic chrome. I had never driven a lowlight before I bought mine and found it very odd as you cant see the front wings at all from the normal driving position. The holes were already drilled for the wing mirrors and I find them a big help, well the drivers one anyway as all you can from the passenger one is wether the semaphore has come out or not....

Are you going to put a pinstripe on it? I think they look good with it on.<br>Image<br>

Too many Minors so little time.....
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I've received a copy of that stamp from the historian at SDF. It is in paedophile format (or is it PDF. file?) so I'm not sure how to copy it to anyone.

Any ideas how to post a .pdf picture?

I knew I should'nt have bought that laptop at the Gary Glitter fanclub closing-down sale!
Last edited by RobThomas on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cardiff, UK