Ultimate MM pose?

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Ultimate MM pose?

Post by RobThomas »

So, what have you got?

Have you polished your bronze trunnions, is your front grille spotless N.O.S., still running Dunlop 5.00 x 14 crossplies, do you still have the original purchase receipt from 1950??

Bet ya don't have one of these! It is a 5 inch lamp that mounts on a swiveling arm that goes through a hole ahead of the quaterlight. It has a series of bakelite knobs on it that allow you to swivel the lamp up/down and left/right through 360 degrees, using one hand, to read road signs as you pass. The handle has a rotation on-off switch on the inner end and the outer part runs some gears and shafts within the main mechanism to turn the entire lamp bowl assembly. Made in 1950 by the German company Notek. It has taken me 2 days to prise apart the corroded steel gear wheels inside and to refurbish them using a mig welder and a file to recut the rotted teeth.

Cool, or wot!<br>Image<br>

Narrowly missed out on an early MM hinged fuel filler cap on Ebay, yesterday. Did anyone here get it? £30, N.O.S.
Cardiff, UK
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

Very nice! you are going to fit it?
Would be great for when that vehicle comes towards you in the dark with one headlight shing right in your face! - you know the ones I mean!
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Just what you need for driving a lowlight in the dark, in fact if you have a pair Im your man!!!!

I didnt see the fuel cap, I could do with one as Ive got a later cap fitted to the correct neck

Too many Minors so little time.....
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Will the light take a halogen bulb? 8)
[sig]3580[/sig]
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Nothing is impossible! It takes a 'european' bulb at the mo but it is the same diameter as a UK sidelight bulb.

It also works as a reversing light since it can either turn vertically through 180 degrees or laterally through 360. I guess it might even shine into the engine bay?
Cardiff, UK
Onne

Post by Onne »

Cool that, I never did get it to work properly...
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
oliver-morrisminor
Minor Fan

Post by oliver-morrisminor »

Suely there cannot be two of a kind.....?

http://www.morrisdownunder.com/forum/vi ... 6751#26751
oliver-morrisminor
Brisbane Southside Morris Minor Car Club Inc (Queensland - AUSTRALIA)
www.morrisminorspares.biz/
1950 Series MM Tourer
1960 MM1000 2 Door 1500cc Nissan & running gear
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Onne. The gear teeth that rotated the head were rotten over about 40% or the range and the alloy shaft had corroded onto the plastic spacers that keep the +ve and -ve bits apart. I still need to make a pair of spacers to fit behind the bulb and then it should work. I've spent about 12 hours on it so far. Good fun!

Lots of WD40, lots of blowtorch heat and quite a bit of leverage. It seems it was made in Germany by the same company that made wartime lamps for Kubelwagens!

( I've got your old gearbox painted up but still need to find a gearlever spring for it. The engine is on the bottom of the list so I guess I'll start the trimming work in a couple of weeks when I get back from Jamaica. The shell has now gone to a good home. :D )
Cardiff, UK
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The Club spares has lots of gear lever turret springs. I had a batch made some years ago.
[sig]3580[/sig]
gub
Minor Friendly

Re: Ultimate MM pose?

Post by gub »

How cool is that ,i want one! 8)