Air cleaner for a 1949 Tourer

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar
MMOC Member: No

Re: Air cleaner for a 1949 Tourer

Post by mike.perry »

The H1 carb is 11/8 in. The H2 carb is 11/4 in. The mounting points are further apart on the H2.
[sig]3580[/sig]
StefanoP
Minor Friendly

Post by StefanoP »

Hi Mike,

I see that this is not a H2....I'll check what it is when I'll take it off the MM.

Ciao

Stefano
WPR678B
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by WPR678B »

StefanoP wrote: a picture of two of the place on the engine where the tube of he oil gauge has to be connected would be very, very useful. Thanks!

Stefano
Hopefully these will help! Bear in mind the engine pictured is out of the car on the floor! :lol:[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

StefanoP
Minor Friendly

Post by StefanoP »

Thank you! These pictures are what I needed to understand where the tube has to be connected.

Have a nice day

Stefano
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

I just spotted this on ebay, its an oil bath filter as would have been fitted to an export sidevalve minor.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1953-Morris-Minor ... 35b0b86826

Too many Minors so little time.....
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

It could be a Series 2 oil bath, the two legs fit on the rocker box nuts?
It is worth buying as it could be adapted to fit an MM
[sig]3580[/sig]
StefanoP
Minor Friendly

Post by StefanoP »

Hello,

after some weeks of rest, as the MM was cleaned thoroughly, had the oil gauge renewed and connected, the dampers refilled with oil (to my surprise they were completely empty), new 145x40 Bridgestone tires fitted (their diameter is a bit smaller than the old Firestones, but they were the best I could find in Italy); now I am ready to take it back to Bologna this afternoon, an epic drive of....35 miles! :lol: Fingers crossed....

I am a bit worried about the engine temperature, though. In the last few weeks I had problems of overheating with my Bristol, until I had the radiator (recored one year ago) cleaned, a new water pump fitted, the electric fans overhauled etc. Not the Bristol runs cool and I'm satisfied, but in the hot climate of Italy (33°C today and it will get more hot during the week-end) I am worrying about the engine of the MM, its lack of water pump and of a water temperature gauge. I wonder if it would be advisable to fit them; :o and if you experts approve my idea that the MM would be better with a water pump, what would be the items that I would have to purchase for this modification.

I'll let you know if I will make it to Bologna, this afternoon! Ciao

Stefano
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Hi Stefano,
If the radiator is in good condition then as long as you are moving you should be ok without a water pump, the airflow through the radiator should be enough to keep the engine cool.
Which engine have you got? Is it the later type which will fit a water pump?
If you can post a photo of the top of the engine I can show you where to fit the temp. gauge and I can post the instructions for the water pump.
[sig]3580[/sig]
StefanoP
Minor Friendly

Post by StefanoP »

Hello Mike,

I did it! The 'maiden voyage' went very well, though the MM now is in dire need of a carburettor adjustment (it sputters a bit when it's hot, i think that the mixture is too rich). There are several creaks and weird noises around the front axle even after the dampers were refilled with oil; some of the bushes must be completely worn out. Another weird thing is that the MM has a good turning radius on the right, whilst if you need to steer left it's like the QE2. The steering rack will need some 'centering''.

Speaking of the water pump:

http://www.stefanopasini.it/Morris_Mino ... Engine.htm

This is a picture of my engine, but I can send you other views if you want.

Some more pics of #28870 on her way to Bologna:

http://www.stefanopasini.it/Morris_Mino ... Voyage.htm

Thanks to you all!

Stefano
StefanoP
Minor Friendly

Post by StefanoP »

P.S. if this can be of any help, engine number is USHM2/25052 and the car was built between 10 and 17 November 1949. Thanks!

Stefano
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The steering has probably been adjusted on one track rod only. Center the steering wheel an equal amount of turns from either full lock then adjust the track rods so that they have an equal toe in, 2.4 mm acording to the book but most places measure in degrees. I prefer my steering wheel with the spokes at Y position at straight ahead. You can fine adjust the column on the splines above the floor.
[sig]3580[/sig]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Your's is the early type of engine, there was no provision for a water pump. The only water pump for these engines was an accessory which pumped warm water through a heater but had no effect on the engine temperature.
If you want to fit a temperature gauge then the capillary type is probably better and the best place to put the sensor is to drill and fit an adapter as low down in the radiator header tank as possible.
[sig]3580[/sig]
StefanoP
Minor Friendly

Post by StefanoP »

Hello Mike and everybody in the MM Register,

the original air cleaner has been adapted (at last! Photos coming on my web site soon...) to my MM and the car drives nicely, the only problem being that after having installed new carpets everywhere the clutch pedal seems to have lost some of its travel and doesn't operate as well as before, especially when the engine is hot, so I risk a mighty crunch every time I change gear, especially a lower one. :(

I am looking now for some decent modern rims to replace my old ones. I have found some T***ta rims that seem appropriate at least for diameter (14"), bolt pattern (4x110) and offest (39 mm), but the channel is 4,5 wide, and this sounds way too wide for a MM. Unfortunately it seems difficult to find narrow rims, even a Fiat Panda has 5,5 rims. What do you think?

Cheers

Stefano
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The Series MM wheels have a 4.5 in PCD, M1000 = 4.0 in PCD. As far as I know there are no alternatives.
[sig]3580[/sig]
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

mike.perry wrote:The Series MM wheels have a 4.5 in PCD, M1000 = 4.0 in PCD. As far as I know there are no alternatives.
There are alternatives if you want a slightly wider rim, i suppose they could be classed as Series MM LP917's!! :lol: :lol:
I *think* they are Morris Oxford or similar? :-?
They take the later hubcap though so a set of van hubcap's would be required to keep the plain hubcap look :wink: [frame]Image[/frame]

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I thought that the Oxford (MO?) had 5 bolt wheels
[sig]3580[/sig]
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Haven't seen that one before. Thought you'd stopped buying? :D

Nice colour rear bumper. :wink:

Morris Cowley circa 1950, IIRC. Torsion bars can also be used and they are stiffer than MM, according to a magazine article I read recently about racing Lowlights. An old "Practical Classics" edition with a pink Vauxhall Cresta on the cover.
Cardiff, UK
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

RobThomas wrote:Haven't seen that one before. Thought you'd stopped buying? :D
Its an old picture Rob, long since gone from my ownership! :wink:
Mike, i was thinking 1960's farina style Morris Oxford, not the MO :wink:

StefanoP
Minor Friendly

Post by StefanoP »

Hello,

at last I have fitted the original rear lights kindly supplied by Peter, even if the Italian Customs did their best to forbid me this pleasure.....

The original support for the air filter was installed as well:

The weather here in Italy is still sunny but it's quite cold so the MM has been 'put to sleep' for winter:

Next thing to improve: the top is not so nice...but I have time to think about that. Thank you all for your support!

Stefano
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

It is looking good.
[sig]3580[/sig]