Restoring sv MM (1949). Seats?

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Arcachon
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Restoring sv MM (1949). Seats?

Post by Arcachon »

Dear MMOC,
I'm impressed with the friendly response questions get on the forum, so here goes ...
At long last I've found a lowlight series MM sv (1949) to replace the one I passed my test in (a 1951).
I'm trying to get it as original as poss but I expect parts may be difficult tofind.
I'm currently looking for 2 front seats in the original style.
If I'm right, the ones I have are from a later Minor and don't have the 'shoulders'.
I don't think I can reshape them...? Does anyone have any ideas?
Many thanks.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar
MMOC Member: No

Re: Restoring sv MM (1949). Seats?

Post by mike.perry »

What colour is the car? Most seats of that era were beige with piping to match the body. Can you post some photos of the car and seats? Could you also let me have the chassis no and reg for the MM Register.
[sig]3580[/sig]
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

This is the correct sort for that type of car, you can get replacement covers from Newton Commercial but will have to find the correct seat bases. If you put a advert in the wanted section something may turn up.[frame]Image[/frame] Its hard to tell from this dirty seat but it has brown piping, some had maroon, or green depending on the cars colour.

Too many Minors so little time.....
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Also the earlier seats had extra piping on the face of the seat and backrest. "Original Morris Minor" P. 25
[sig]3580[/sig]
Arcachon
Minor Friendly

Post by Arcachon »

Hi Mike and David,

Thanks so much for your prompt replies. Not sure if I'm using the message board correctly, so do say!

Colour: platinum grey? (MNR/C)
Index: LUO 456 ('Mr Morris'). Happy to be included in MM register.
Car number: SMM 31593 on plate. (I've cut back the paint - also stamped in chassis under regulator box).
Engine number: originally 27354 (according to plate) but now USHM3 167919 (sv) - on round disc on engine block. Origin?
I've tried to attach a picture of car but not sure if I've succeeded...

The picture David kindly sent shows exactly the seats as I remember in my former sv (1951), sadly demised long ago c.1967.
Wider bottom panels and slightly rounded 'shoulders' ...
I think my current Mr Morris has had later inside swapped in. (Now green - should be beige?).

I would be pleased to have any views / thoughts / info etc on seats and the car generally.
Regards,
Brian.[frame]Image[/frame]
Arcachon
Minor Friendly

Post by Arcachon »

Picture of interior and seats attached (I hope).

Brian.[frame]Image[/frame]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Thanks for the info. Your seats are later M1000 seats, not nearly as comfortable as the originals which have horizontal pleats.
1949 seats should have double rows of piping, not sure of the colour for a platinum grey car.
The original engine was a USHM2 type with no water pump or thermostat, the USHM3 engine has a thermostat, alloy water jacket and a blanking plate on the front which can be replaced with a water pump.
[sig]3580[/sig]
fussyoldfart
Minor Fan

Post by fussyoldfart »

That car is lovely, despite the wrong seats. You must be very happy to have it.

I seem to remember some weeks back (maybe a couple of months) that someone posted pictures of a pair of seats that he wanted to sell and they certainly looked like they might be early MM. They definitely needed to be reupholstered but the frames and all the springs were there. It might be worth employing the search function to see what became of them.

Darrell
Fussyoldfart in Welland Ontario.

fussyoldfart
Minor Fan

Post by fussyoldfart »

Well, here I am again, scarcely 10 minutes later, with a link to the post I remembered.

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... ly#p354234

The panels and stitching pattern look right but the bases seem different, perhaps pre WW2?

Darrell
Fussyoldfart in Welland Ontario.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Your lowlight looks very smart! I think the seat you have which are probably late series 11 or very early 1000 seats are more or less the same shape as the early seats so you should be able to fit the original type of covers. If you contact newton commercial who make both type of covers Im sure thay could confirm this for you. Heres a link to there site

http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/cars/morris ... =38&type=1

Too many Minors so little time.....
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The seats Darrell is referring to are the same design as MM seats, the only difference is the lack of the lengthways pleats on the seat base which if you were to recover the seats would be replaced.
Your seats are a different design, maybe you could sell them and recoup a little of the expenditure on the MM seats.
Have you got the correct back seat?
[sig]3580[/sig]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

[frame]Image[/frame]
Early MM seat with extra piping
[sig]3580[/sig]
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

reviving an old thread! seeing this seat where there 2 type of beige? as the Newton one seems very light compared to the one in the pic