Unbelievable

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
plastic_orange
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Unbelievable

Post by plastic_orange »

I had 2 winning bids on 2 separate occasions rejected by the seller of split screen window trims on ebay recently.
The first time I just thought it was an ebay glitch, but when it happened again when the item was relisted I had to find out why.
Here is the bizarre reply I got, making negative reference to my nationality, and seemingly miffed that I asked him if the items were in really good order:

Dear 1954pete,

Hi there, to answer your question as succinctly as possible I added your e-bay ID to my blocked bidders list after your question on the 1st Oct as I was affronted by your pedantic question.

I have spent 45years in the Motor Trade, of which 30 of those years as a Morris Minor Restorer, 5years as a Morris Minor Owners Club Concours Judge, I am now in retirement.

I doubt if your bid was sufficient to cover the hassle-factor should you have been the winning bidder, you would, without doubt, filed a "item not as described" suite to obtain a substantial refund, if this is not the case then you have your fellow Countrymen to thank for the way they deal through e-bay.

Hoping the above satisfies your curiosity, there will be no further communication on this matter.

- tel4dt

I have reported this obviously racist individual to ebay and sent him this response:

I asked you a perfectly reasonable question about the condition of the item as I require this component to finish a very expensive build, and the item has to be mint.
I find your reference to my Nationality to be offensive and indeed racist, and I have reported your comment to ebay.
I have over 40 years experience with Morris Minors, and am a moderator on several Morris Minor forums, and in no way do I represent the comments you attribute to me. Furthermore, I have 100% feedback on ebay and value this status.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Re: Unbelievable

Post by chesney »

:o As you say unbelievable.
The reason why I try and avoid eBay, it's all a bit personal and (for me) it goes wrong at least half the time..
Right action taken there PO - Good man.
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Thats disgusting :o he must be known in the minor club then with being a judge
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

There will always be two sides to every story; but on the face of it, it is a most extraordinary response. If I had received a response like that then I would have been offended, but perhaps the seller has had some bad experience in the past, or was having a really bad day. However, I am always wary of people who do not supply goods to a genuine buyer, and then re-list them.

The seller's phone number is listed as oh one 9 five 2 xxxxxx, so someone in the concours world will know who it is - perhaps the seller could be asked for their POV. In the meantime, if the seller was expecting that the sale would result in a claim for a mis-described item, then one has to question the condition of the item in the first place. Perhaps PO has had a lucky escape?
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

On reflection, I do think I've had a lucky escape as I now feel that the component possibly wasn't up to the condition I wanted. Every cloud has a silver lining though, as a friend of mine is selling me a set he'd been keeping for a rainy day.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

I didnt know that a seller could reject a winning bid, I thought that was what an auction was about selling for the final price. If the seller values these more highly he should set a reserve price or a buy it now price rather than messing you about.

I have noticed on several things that Ive been interested in that it states on the postage 'not available to Northern Ireland' and Ive contacted the sellers to ask why, more often than not I dont get an answer. Its there loss of a sale.

I recently bought a rechromed windscreen trim from a guy in Aberdeen off ebay who was a pleasure to deal with, and Im pretty sure he has another trim. I will email him and check and let you know by PM.

Too many Minors so little time.....
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Apparantly, you can block a potential bidder from submitting a bid. The seller obviously took a dislike to me for daring to ask a question about the condition of the item. The experience is a new one to me, but such is life. I'm a firm believer in Karma - "what's for you won't go past you" as my mother in law used to say, and never a truer word.
Thanks for the offer of contacting the chap in Aberdeen, but I'm getting a set from a friend now.

Cheers

Pete
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

I think in these situations it's always best not to go straight into the intended victim with the taser gun. Take a step back, take few deep breaths, think of karma, then go in with the samurai. Racism just isn't on in this day and age.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Fellow countryman :( Whats his ebay name i will avoid
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

irmscher wrote:Fellow countryman :( Whats his ebay name i will avoid

tel4dt

Pete
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Bit worrying Barbie pink Gazebo and pink car seat covers :oops: might suggest its not his account
Plin
Minor Fan

Post by Plin »

Pink ugh! Look at the company website and you will see plenty of pink!

(If you view the ebay ID you find the phone number, google the phone number and hey presto you find the company name if you scroll down a few entries rather than just using the first couple of entries.)

Hope at the very least you get an apology PO.
Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

Hmmm,not nice.I can only sympathise with your feelings about this.There are some nasty people out there!
Ebay,,,,,,,,a few bad experiences with mis described items and one reply from a business that I was `expecting too much` when I won a chrome silencer for my bike which was described as `real good chrome` but on delivery had bad scuff marks.
Sometimes good,sometimes bad.
Good luck and I hope he gets what he deserves.
Power to your Pistons,Johnnydoome.