Wiper switch

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
1843lamp
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Wiper switch

Post by 1843lamp »

Hello all,This is my first post here but I have read most of the past topics ,I have an original condition mm,In tatty but complete condition ,wih the exception of an early 948 engine installation,the car was not cut up at all to do this ,it is a 52 car and has the curved crossmember,a little history here.my question is that I have wondered what the original wiper switch and knob looked like,I am not sure if there were any variations installed in the cars originally?regards,rob.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Wiper switch

Post by mike.perry »

The wiper switch was a small push-pull knob situated on top of the dash. As far as I am aware the same switch was used during the production of the Series MM and early Series II.
I swapped my original wiper switch for a light switch with a W knob so that I could run electric washers on the same switch as the wipers
[sig]3580[/sig]
1843lamp
Minor Friendly

Post by 1843lamp »

Thank you for the reply Mike,I have seen what are described as original mm wiper switches they do not look like the later Lucas push pull type I am familiar with and I have seen them in black and white color and the knobs seem to be different heights,so if I am going to try and find one I want to be sure what I am wanting to buy,any pictures possible ?As a side note I looked at the shift knob on my car and it seems I have the series two knob with the raised embossing,it is in nos condition,I feel pretty lucky!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I should be able to get a photo of the wiper switch, hopefully the complete switch, tomorrow.
Could you please send me the details, chassis and reg. nos, body type, and your contact details for the register
Thanks
Michael
[sig]3580[/sig]
1843lamp
Minor Friendly

Post by 1843lamp »

Mike,this is rob Garbarino,I have sent you the information you requested ,two days ago,did you get the email?
cylinder.head
Minor Friendly

Post by cylinder.head »

Hello, Take a look at the link below, has a picture of the switch in question.

http://mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47158
1843lamp
Minor Friendly

Post by 1843lamp »

Thank you for the link ,I did see that photo,I have found one that is yellow plastic that looks similar ,but no knob.I was just wondering if there were different versions for mm considering how the cars seem to vary with the year of manufacture.I think finding a knob by itself might be difficult.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

[frame]Image[/frame]
A selection of wiper switches
[sig]3580[/sig]
1843lamp
Minor Friendly

Post by 1843lamp »

Thank you Mike,Were all of these types originally used on the mm?I was thinking the one on the far right might be the one.
sparesman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by sparesman »

Are you still looking for the right wiper switch? it is the righthand one in the photo. I think we have secondhand and possibly new ones in the club stocks. Bryan Gostling
1934 Morris 10/4 in Dark Green / Black - BGO517
1953 S11 Traveller in Birch Grey - oldest survivor ? Export model now reg PPO924
1953 S11 Traveller in Black - 3rd oldest in UK PPX344
1843lamp
Minor Friendly

Post by 1843lamp »

Thank you Bryan for letting me know,yes I would like to find the right one,like the one on the right,but finances are to be considered at the moment..I will keep this in mind though ,regards,rob.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Heres a link to a couple of these switches on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390522994269? ... 1497.l2649

Too many Minors so little time.....
1843lamp
Minor Friendly

Post by 1843lamp »

I finally bought what I thought was the right wiper switch for my '52 ,but when I just tried to install it I noticed the cutout in the dash is a fairly large hole with two parallel flats sides ,so the hole is not completely round,usually a dashboard hole for other switches has a flat edge to keep the switch from rotating but the wiper switch is just a push pull type.the switch I bought is the type in the post above for an original early car that was stored for years.