Head Gasket & other major overhauling gasket kit

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pradeepprabhua
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Head Gasket & other major overhauling gasket kit

Post by pradeepprabhua »

Hello,

After getting (from MMOC) and placing all the necessary enigne auxiliaries started the engine.
The start was good later to know cylinder 3 and 4 arent doing any work (not firing)
Checked the plugs, compression by manual method by our mechanic seemed fine.
As advised by him decided to open the engine.

Require the head gasket and other related gasket kit do rebuild the engine. please advice me from wher can i get them ???

The values are to be replaced and also the piston rings for standard size piston, these we shall be getting the original once from one of the classic spare supplier here in india.

Also need your advice on the rust that is to be cleard from the head and also the block ( please see pictures below). the engine must have been down for more than a decade. ours is a coastal area.

The Head and the rust that came out while cleaning.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Now how to clean the rust through the waterl line in the block??? :o :roll:
[*]Pradeep Prabhu[*]
1951 Series MM - 2door - side valve head

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Head Gasket & other major overhauling gasket kit

Post by mike.perry »

You can get all the gaskets from "Gaskets for Classics". They are at the moment tooling up to produce the thermostat gasket for the later engines and it should be available mid January. Hopefully it will be included in the head gasket set.
I would advise removing the bottom hose or drain tap and sucking out as much rust as possible from all the water passages with a powerful vacuum cleaner and then try flushing the passages with a jet wash. I have the same problem with my Vedette marine engine
If the compression is OK on 3 & 4 and they are not firing, are you sure that it is not an electrical fault, plug leads in the wrong order???????????
[sig]3580[/sig]
pradeepprabhua
Minor Friendly

Post by pradeepprabhua »

Hello Mike,
will do that for cleaning the rust.
yes the order is correct in terms of coonections from dizzy, anticlockwise - 1342. Had taken a video while we started and rechecked the connections in video too.
regarding compression we could not measure though.. but the mechanic with the finger at the plug hole said " THE COMPRESSION SEEMS OK" and then he said may be value is leaking and hence he opened the engine.

I checked on the net for " Gaskets for classics" and found a lot when googled. could any one give me the correct link or an phone number, i could ask my cousin Bro who lives in UK to contact them.

The engine type is side valve head with serial number 62454 and type USHM2.
also want to know what shall i mention while i ask for the gasket.

Thanks in advance.
[*]Pradeep Prabhu[*]

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

gasketsforclassics@tiscali.co.uk tel 01908 366435. USHM2 engine will not need the thermostat gasket
[sig]3580[/sig]
pradeepprabhua
Minor Friendly

Post by pradeepprabhua »

Thanks Mr Mike.
[*]Pradeep Prabhu[*]

sparesman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by sparesman »

Pradeep
We have gasket sets in the club spares but you should be able to buy them locally as ours come from India.
Bryan
1934 Morris 10/4 in Dark Green / Black - BGO517
1953 S11 Traveller in Birch Grey - oldest survivor ? Export model now reg PPO924
1953 S11 Traveller in Black - 3rd oldest in UK PPX344
pradeepprabhua
Minor Friendly

Post by pradeepprabhua »

Hello Mr Bryan,
saw your post today,, been travelling -IRAQ..
i just purchased them yesterday from gaskets for classics through my Cousin there...

I am not sure from which part or from which supplier MUMBAI?? DELHI ?? BANGALORE??

one gentleman from Bangalore Shop name JADSONS used to have lots of spares for classics...
visited his premises few months back..he said "some gentleman from nederlands or some place visited and decided to take all the stuff he has"
i got a set of valves from him though.
if you still know where to get the gaskets from in india please let me know.

regards
[*]Pradeep Prabhu[*]