Cam shaft timing?

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mrmorrisminor
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Cam shaft timing?

Post by mrmorrisminor »

Hi all, been driving A series Mogs for a few years now but have recently ventured onto pastures new- a lowlight sidevalve! The car arrived to me as an unfinished project. The engine had been removed, checked, new gaskets etc but was not running. I've started to go through the usual list to get things moving but no joy. On removing the lid of the float bowl it became evident that the engine was blowing back through the carb. I removed the exhaust and when turning the engine over, it basically pumps in reverse, ie sucks through the exhaust and blows out through the carb!

So I have removed the timing cover to check out the cam shaft timing. There are two marks (look like a capital T), one on each cog..... Looking similar to the a series so far! And when turning the engine by hand, the cogs line up with both marks directly facing each other.... My question is, is this correct?? Or are the marks T for TDC? (which the book seems to refer to rather than timing marks)

Other than that the internals of the engine so far are looking very clean. Any assistance greatly received.

Colin.
https://www.facebook.com/minor1000

Life is too short to own only one Minor :D
Gulliver 1969 Traveller, Green Machine 1967 2 door, Roxy 1967 4 door, Delilah 1960 convertible, Pheonix 1958 4 door, Francis 1953 4 door, Marilyn 1949 lowlight (1970 pick up & 1971 van both awaiting restoration)

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54234
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=66053#p599269
colin addison
Minor Fan

Re: Cam shaft timing?

Post by colin addison »

And don't rely on the marks on the cog, we assembled my MM engine and it ran OK. Then a friend came over with the dial gauge etc for setting the cam timing and we were a tooth out.
Colin
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

It's clearly explained and shown in the BMC manual how to set the chain and gears.
Talk slow, think fast!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

colin addison wrote:And don't rely on the marks on the cog, we assembled my MM engine and it ran OK.
Colin
I wonder if that is why I cannot get the expected performance out of my engine? It was professionally rebuilt so I did not check. How much difference did it make?
[sig]3580[/sig]
colin addison
Minor Fan

Post by colin addison »

Mike
We didn't run the car on the road, the engine sounded OK static, then we double checked!
Colin
smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by smithskids »

It always pays to set the timing for a camshaft by however many degrees the inlet valve opens BTDC. On later o/h valve engines with a vernier timing gear setup it is essential if you want to get the best results from the unit. :D
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

mrmorrisminor Could you let me have the details of the car so that I can update the register?
[sig]3580[/sig]