Gearbox condition MM

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TvdWerf
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Gearbox condition MM

Post by TvdWerf »

I have 2 gearboxes, both not 100% complete, but together are they usable.
Do I need to take all the parts out of both gearboxes to inspect them, put new bearings in it, and close again, or is this not an issue with this old box?
And what type of oil can be used, a modern standard oil, or is an old type of oil better?
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Gearbox condition MM

Post by mike.perry »

What is wrong with the boxes, what parts are missing? It would be a pity to dismantle the boxes if they are both salvageable.
Series MM boxes are fairly tough, mine has suffered years of abuse! A good quality EP90 or EP80/90 will do.
[sig]3580[/sig]
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

Both are leaking a little, one of them was opened by someone without enough experience, and parts are missing, and both has some space on the axles / bearings.
In basic, my idea was to open both, new bearings in it, and rebuild them again.
The best one for use in my car, the other as spare, for a quick replace, just in case....

The missing parts are the springs in the top cover, so this is not a big problem for a spare ;)
This evening I can take a look to another gearbox, number 3 ;), laying somewhere in a barn, together with a sidevalve engine.
The plan is to take both with me ;)
The spare engine should be ready for use, nice to put at once in my car, to save the original engine.
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
colin addison
Minor Fan

Post by colin addison »

Having recently had the engine rebuilt I put it all back together after replacing the oil in the gear box. These boxes are like all British gear boxes of the era, strong. I did the same with a Triumph TR2 rebuild in the early 90s and that had lasted very well 'till I sold the care recently.
So, change the oil and put it back.
Colin
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

If you are missing the conical turret spring they are available from Club Spares,
If the three small detent springs are missing an owner is about to have a batch produced. There should be a small ball bearing at the bottom of each spring
[sig]3580[/sig]
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

The 3 springs are missing, and the box was partial unscrewed and left open in the dust.
So at least I have to clean all the parts, and close the covers again with some loctite between it to avoid leaking.
I cannot understand why some "restoration experts" are opening gearboxes, and leave them open for years..
The first I did was put the cover back, and put the gearbox in a plastic cover.

Cleaning, maybe some new bearings for both, one for the car, the other save somewhere in my barn will help.
And for a spare gearbox, I have to check before mounting all, what is missing.
It looks like the internal parts are complete, and what I told, in a few hours box number 3 is there ;)
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

I saw the gearbox, could check him, but the owner was not ready for selling.
But, I could see enough to understand my gearboxes has to be cleaned only, and one is usable for my car.
The other as spare-part, not complete mounted.

But lucky as I was, I could buy his spare sidevalve engine ;)[frame]Image[/frame]
The engine was out the car for a few years, but the reason for replacement was an Alta engine ;)
Because the lowlight tourer is older as mine, and the engine number higher, it was not the original one.
I got him together with an old radiator, a little damaged, and some gearbox mounting parts...[frame]Image[/frame]
My engine is the original one, from 1951, this one is 23000 numbers later, so end '51 or begin '52?[frame]Image[/frame]
Maybe later, I can buy his spare Alta, and the gearbox ;)
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

PM Sent
[sig]3580[/sig]