Lucas L482 rear lamps

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
OHP 900
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Lucas L482 rear lamps

Post by OHP 900 »

I recently managed to acquire a nos early l482 lamp for my car (LMM 982 - formally Carlo's early '49 lowlight.) I understand the other was a reflector, my question is was it another lamp with a lens that also acted as a reflector or was it just a reflector "disguised" as another lamp? If so how was it attached to the car? Any information on how the setup worked would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I have an old book full of period road tests of different Minors through the cars lifetime. The earliest review is of NWL 576 which I know was also used as a press car before being sold off in 1949, the pictures don't suggest any immediate differences between the lenses.

Thanks in advance.
'49 saloon - LMM 982
‘52 4 door saloon - KWP 463
'53 van - OHP 900
‘54 Traveller - LVJ 184
'56 4 door saloon - 656 BPK
Million #281 - 1620 MY
'63 2 door saloon - KGH 680A (was 936 STX)
‘65 2 door saloon - CYD 315C
'66 Traveller - FHW 952D
'66 2 door saloon - KUD 108D
'66 Convertible - GKE 885D
'68 2 door saloon - TUW 453F
'68 4 door saloon - TYA 501G
'69 2 door saloon - RKJ 882G
'69 2 door saloon - ROU 979G
‘69 Traveller - LWL 835G

Scott
Minor Addict

Re: Lucas L482 rear lamps

Post by Scott »

Have a look here:
http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/Identify.htm
The white lens is supposed to be a reflector & the body appears to be the same one used for the light.

I've used a light body & cut down a modern reflector to replace the red lens.
Scott

[url=http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/523/bo16vy.jpg]1948 Series MM[/url]
[url=http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2484/dcp001046qp.jpg]1962 1000[/url]
[url=http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9625/19705bp.jpg]1970 1000[/url]
[url=http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7259/nullabor25ns.jpg]1959 Van[/url]

[url=http://www.morrisdownunder.com/forum/index.php]Aussie Forum[/url]
WPR678B
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by WPR678B »

These pictures were "lifted" from ebay when one appeared on their earlier this year! :wink:
The lens is white glass, but painted red on the inside. I have a number of these lenses, still in their Lucas packets.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

OHP 900
Minor Friendly

Post by OHP 900 »

Thanks Carlo, I managed to get a clear lens with fragments of red paint on it for 50p at Beaulieu. I was at the time slightly confused as to why it was painted. At least I now know what to look for. This may sound a little obvious but if anyone has a complete unit and is willing to sell don't be afraid to PM me.

Thanks.
'49 saloon - LMM 982
‘52 4 door saloon - KWP 463
'53 van - OHP 900
‘54 Traveller - LVJ 184
'56 4 door saloon - 656 BPK
Million #281 - 1620 MY
'63 2 door saloon - KGH 680A (was 936 STX)
‘65 2 door saloon - CYD 315C
'66 Traveller - FHW 952D
'66 2 door saloon - KUD 108D
'66 Convertible - GKE 885D
'68 2 door saloon - TUW 453F
'68 4 door saloon - TYA 501G
'69 2 door saloon - RKJ 882G
'69 2 door saloon - ROU 979G
‘69 Traveller - LWL 835G

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The red lens was red glass not painted and was a stop/tail light unit fitted on the offside. The bulb differed from more modern stop/tail bulbs in that there was no offset on the pins so care had to be taken to fit the bulb the correct way round. The hole in the wing was slightly smaller than the lamp body diameter so that it was sandwiched between the lens and body, holding the lamp in position.
The white lens was just a glass lens fitted in a bracket on the nearside wing with no lighting.
When the regulations changed to require two red rear lights one can surmise that white lenses were painted red. I have a lamp unit beside me which was fitted with a red painted lens which I have cleaned back to the original clear glass.
Last edited by mike.perry on Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

OHP 900 wrote:Thanks Carlo, I managed to get a clear lens with fragments of red paint on it for 50p at Beaulieu. I was at the time slightly confused as to why it was painted. At least I now know what to look for. This may sound a little obvious but if anyone has a complete unit and is willing to sell don't be afraid to PM me.

Thanks.
Great to hear you got a bargain at Beaulieu, a rare thing these days!! :lol:
I was tempted to buy the unit pictured above when it was listed but as I no longer had the car to suit it I thought there was little point and it sold within hours anyway for the £50 buy it now price.
mike.perry wrote:The red lens was red glass not painted and was a stop/tail light unit fitted on the offside. The bulb differed from more modern stop/tail bulbs in that there was no offset on the pins so care had to be taken to fit the bulb the correct way round. The hole in the wing was slightly smaller tsn the lamp body diameter so that it was sandwiched between the lens and body, holding the lamp in position.
The white lens was just a glass lens fitted in a bracket on the nearside wing with no lighting.
When the regulations changed to require two red rear lights one can surmise that white lenses were painted red. I have a lamp unit beside me which was fitted with a red painted lens which I have cleaned back to the original clear glass.
I must disagree with you Mike. The unit pictured above is a New Old Stock reflector unit and you can clearly see it is a white glass lens painted on the inside, the same as the new one's I have in their original packets. The part number for a red glass lens is 572507 and the painted clear lens is 572507 RL. I am sure you will find that the suffix of RL stands for relector lens.[frame]Image[/frame]

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

OK how's this for a theory? In the days of shortages and rationing, rather than thowing away the redundant clear lenses they were painted red and sold with the newly required n/s tail lamp units.
I believe that in NZ the original lights are still legal, there are photos of Phil Clement's car with a red and a white rear light
Last edited by mike.perry on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
Scott
Minor Addict

Post by Scott »

How did the 'reflector' work?
Was it actually a reflector as we normally know it or was it just there to basically fill the hole & make the rear of the car look symmetrical?
Scott

[url=http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/523/bo16vy.jpg]1948 Series MM[/url]
[url=http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2484/dcp001046qp.jpg]1962 1000[/url]
[url=http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9625/19705bp.jpg]1970 1000[/url]
[url=http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7259/nullabor25ns.jpg]1959 Van[/url]

[url=http://www.morrisdownunder.com/forum/index.php]Aussie Forum[/url]
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

mike.perry wrote:OK how's this for a theory? In the days of shortages and rationing, rather than thowing away the redundant clear lenses they were painted red and sold with the newly required n/s tail lamp units.
I believe that in NZ the original lights are still legal, there are photos of Phil Clement's car with a red and a white rear light
Anything is possible for a theory Mike :wink:
All clear lenses were originally painted red, they were never designed to be left clear as they were never used on the front of any car.
There are photo's of other cars with other mods about too, such as pictures of your car with a trip on the speedo which could be claimed to be an original fitment, but we all know its not. (not that there is anything wrong with what you have done by the way :D )
Scott wrote:How did the 'reflector' work?
Was it actually a reflector as we normally know it or was it just there to basically fill the hole & make the rear of the car look symmetrical?
I'm not sure that it ever really "worked" which is probably another reason they were discontinued so soon after the start of production!

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Why would Lucas produce red lenses and then paint white lenses red?
My car is certainly not original but most of the additions are period or useful
[sig]3580[/sig]
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

mike.perry wrote:Why would Lucas produce red lenses and then paint white lenses red?
As explained earlier, to use them as a reflector.
mike.perry wrote: My car is certainly not original but most of the additions are period or useful
I love some of the mods you have done to your car Mike and am not against any of them or questioning their usefulness, just trying to make a simple point that if someone see's a picture of a trip on your speedo then they could claim its an original fitment just as you were saying about a picture of someone else's car with a lens that has no paint left on it fitted.

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Richard. Carlo might have already mentioned it to you but yesterday I picked up a 482, minus the glass, at Beaulieu. Looks like it has never been used. I was planning to use it as a high-level brake light so let me know if you are still after one. There is someone in NZ also on the look out.
Cheers
Rob
Cardiff, UK
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

RobThomas wrote:Richard. Carlo might have already mentioned it to you but yesterday I picked up a 482, minus the glass, at Beaulieu. Looks like it has never been used. I was planning to use it as a high-level brake light so let me know if you are still after one. There is someone in NZ also on the look out.
Cheers
Rob
No I didn't Rob as I saw Richard before you told me about your find and haven't seen him since :wink:
I did go back to Beaulieu today to pick up from where I left off when the rain came and managed to find 3 more painted lenses! :D
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

I would absolutely love to get hold of an L482 lamp and matching reflector. The downside is that although it would be legal to fit it, in use I can't help but think it would be something of a hazard. Far to many muppets on the road. I also think the chances of finding two lamps would be somewhat unlikely.

I'm having to settle for two original L488 lamps I found recently. These will require a mounting ring on the inside of the guard so they will fit the bigger hole for the L482.

Rod
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Richard (and Rod?). It might be possible to press out a new brass body for a 482 reflector, using the pic from Carlo as a guide. I'll have a play with it and see where it takes me.

Might be worth checking the local laws w.r.t. uneven lighting. I believe that in the UK, under 'Construction and Use' law you must have 2 lights fitted. Might be wrong, though.

Edit...

Stop lamps Two stop lamps are required except on pre-1971 vehicles where one will suffice.

one on each side (or on the offside if only one required), at or towards the rear of the vehicle;
at least 400 millimetres apart;
not more than 1,500 millimetres from the ground (2,100 millimetres if this is impracticable and not a pre-1971 vehicle);
at least 350 millimetres from the ground (not pre-1971 vehicles).

meet specified angles of visibility (not pre-1971 vehicles);
show an approval mark on motor vehicles first used and trailers manufactured on and after 1 February 1974;
operate on the application of the braking system;
stop lamps must be red.
-----------------------------------------------
Rear position lamps Two rear lamps must be fitted to motor vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 and trailers manufactured on or after 1 October 1985:

within 400 millimetres of the edge of the vehicle;
not less than 500 millimetres apart (400 millimetres if vehicle is not more than 1,400 millimetres wide or 300 millimetres if less than 800 millimetres wide);
not more than 1,500 millimetres from the ground (2,100 millimetres if this is impracticable);
at least 350 millimetres from the ground.

Each rear lamp must:

show an approval mark if on a vehicle first used on or after 1 January 1974;
meet specified angles of visibility if on a motor vehicle first used on or after 1 April 1986 or a trailer manufactured on or after 1 October 1985;
be red.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Cardiff, UK
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

L482 tail lights were fitted to American export MG TCs, one either side of the fuel tank. I am informed by the owner of one such car that they also operated as indicators in the same manner as on the 61 - 63 Minor
[sig]3580[/sig]
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Cardiff, UK