Do i have to install seatbelts??

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mistarkos
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Do i have to install seatbelts??

Post by mistarkos »

As i said on my previous post i will re-register my MM series. The car does not have any seat belts and i don't know if there were any seat belts before i bought it. My 1962 Triumph Herald had seat belts but I don't know if the early cars had. My MM was register to Cyprus in 1950. Do you know if it came with seat belts? Were they invented then? Can nowadays seatbelts be fitted in that car?

Cheers.

Mario.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Do i have to install seatbelts??

Post by simmitc »

You do not have to install belts on a 1950 car, but you'd be an idiot (and possibly a dead one) if you didn't - unless, of course, you want to leave the car in a museum and not actually drive it.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

You would be wise to fit inertia seatbelts. From about 1965 the Minor had mountings for seat belts, before that you would have to fit your own mountings. Is your car a 2, 4 door or convertible as this would affect the position of the mountings. Shown are mountings for for 2 door/convertible.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
[sig]3580[/sig]
mistarkos
Minor Fan

Post by mistarkos »

My car is a 2 door.
mistarkos
Minor Fan

Post by mistarkos »

Can the new seat belts be fitted or should i buy old ones for Morris 2 door?
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

Mike, are the seat belts comfortable with that rear top mount just behind you and what sort of fitting is it for the top mount please? cheers smithskids :)
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

mistarkos wrote:Can the new seat belts be fitted or should i buy old ones for Morris 2 door?
Never fit old seat belts, you do not know where they have been!
The seat belts are perfectly comfortable. The top mounts are triangular plates L shaped sideways on which are bolted into the rail under the window. Ideally the section of the rail where the bracket is mounted should be re inforced. You may have to strip the brackets from a scrap late 2 door with factory fitted belts. I repeat, Do not fit used belts. If the brackets are not available a common place to mount the belts is on the triangular section between the rail and the B post.
Do not mount the belts higher up the B post except on a 4 door/Traveller as it is not strong enough
[sig]3580[/sig]
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

Thanks Mike, I am making up some 1/2 moon shaped pieces 4" long for the top mounting bracket. I aquired my seat belts from the usual south coast supplier and they are new. cheers Iain :)
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

With the reels at an angle they occasionally lock up so if the bolts are left just loose enough for the reels to be twisted vertical the strap can be unlocked
[sig]3580[/sig]