New wiring for 1949 MM

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Arcachon
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

New wiring for 1949 MM

Post by Arcachon »

I'd be grateful for a bit of guidance on replacing the vehicle harness in my 1949 MM.
The bits that haven't melted are very crispy!

Does anyone know if / where I can buy a harness ready made?
I'm still positive earth; should I think about changing? Did I see a tech sheet for this some time ago?
Do probs arise with petrol pump, wipers etc if I swap over?
The dynamo and regulator are also original but not performing reliably. Replacements available?
Is this a DIY job? (I suspect not) I'm fairly handy but no autoelec wizard.
Any recommendations for who might do a professional job - in East Anglia region?

My apologies if I've missed a message-board on this; I expect it's arisen before but couldn't find it.
Many thanks - all comments most welcome.
Brian.
1949 Morris Minor MM
1972 VW Beetle (Sorry about that! I got carried away at auction...)
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar
MMOC Member: No

Re: New wiring for 1949 MM

Post by mike.perry »

A wiring loom for a 1949 Series MM would be available from Speedy Cables. If you have a BMC Workshop Manual the wiring diagram on Page N23 should be the one for your car. If you have or plan to have any accessories in future, such as flashing indicators these can be included in the loom. The wiring diagram for combined indicators and trafficators is on http://seriesmm.mmoc.org.uk Techical Info, Trafficators and Indicators
Changing the polarity of your car will allow you to run modern components such as sat nav and will make no difference to the wiring and all the components listed will work normally.
The Dynamo, probably a C39 probably just needs a new set of brushes (C39 not C40) and a good clean
The control box (regulator) on early cars was combined with the fuse box and is expensive so get it checked carefully before you discard it
Rewiring is a DIY job if you go about it methodically. Before you start lay the new loom alongside the car and identify the wires and terminals.
Keep the old loom,you never know when you will need a few bullit connectors or red cable.
Please snd me the details of your car for the register
Michael Perry
[sig]3580[/sig]
gtt1951
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by gtt1951 »

Hello Brian,
ESM sell wiring looms for the 1948 to 1949 Side-valve engined car, see
http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/adv ... b9&x=0&y=0
This page also shows the '49 to '52 one as well.
Regards, George.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
colin addison
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by colin addison »

brian
Some years ago I rewired a TR2 with a loom from Autosparks of Nottingham. Everything was just right, when offered into the car all the 'bits' were in the right places and fitted well. You can have any mods incorporated in ie flashers, as already indicated. You should think about this, you can always blank them off if you decide not to use them. More recently I used Autosparks again for the bits to add flashers to my MM, I also incorporated a hazards flasher and they were very helpful with the wiring diagram. You don't need to be a skilled electrician, just have a logical mindset.
all the best
Colin