valve and spring dimensions

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tortron
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

valve and spring dimensions

Post by tortron »

Hi guys

wondering if someone has a few spare valve springs laying around and could measure them for me.
The manual lists the expected pressures but no mention of diameter or uncompressed/compressed hight

would like to order some uprated replacements to be waiting for when i get back home

also, the same goes for valve length. I have head and stem diameters listed. But no mention of lengths

cheers
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: valve and spring dimensions

Post by mike.perry »

I have stronger springs fitted to my Series MM, good for 6000rpm apparently, not that I have ever tried. I think that doubles were available once. I will measure some standard springs
[sig]3580[/sig]
tortron
Minor Fan

Post by tortron »

Cheers. I read that the double valve springs that were available for the 100e had a tendancy to ahift and not sit right. Due to the collet arangement. I assume it would be similar for a minor. Perhaps not. But will go.the simple route and stick with single springs.

Will post any part numbers i come up with
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Standard spring length 48-50mm
[sig]3580[/sig]
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

BMC manual AKD 530 lists free length at 1.75" (44-45mm) on page "General data 12"
Talk slow, think fast!
tortron
Minor Fan

Post by tortron »

How about diameter?

Cheers
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Measured uncompressed length 49mm
Fully compressed length in vice 23mm
Diameter 23 mm
My springs were made by Paul Savage, Reddich
[sig]3580[/sig]
tortron
Minor Fan

Post by tortron »

Thanks for that

a quick seach tells me that finding a spring weak enough to not be 5-10 times stronger than the originals may be the hardest part.

But perhaps this wont be a problem, the originals are pretty much pudding it seems, and i cant think of any reason a "modern" spring pressure would cause excessive wear on anything. If anything the direct motion of the cam-tappets-valve would be less stressful than the leverage eated by apush rod and arm arrangement. I will contact a guy i know who works at a local cam company and see what he thinks anyway.

Just noticed i cant post from many ip addresses in peru. Must be why theres no members from there! Though i did see a few minors on the road in colombia
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

If anything the direct motion of the cam-tappets-valve
Does this mean that you're working on a side valve engine and not an OHV (A series)?
Talk slow, think fast!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Correct, This is the Series MM Register Message Board :)
[sig]3580[/sig]
tortron
Minor Fan

Post by tortron »

so I sorted this out by finding a box of unused smm Terrys aero valve springs. will measure them up and give the specs when I get around to fitting them
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan

Post by BLOWNMM »

Measurements of standard spring - free length 47.6 OD 20.7 wire dia. 2.67 installed length 38.3 (19 lbs) open length 30.84 (37 lbs) when compressed to 28.65 48.4 lbs. Standard valve LOA 92.48
Bob
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan

Post by BLOWNMM »

I suspect that the MM motor internals are constructed in a very similar manner to the Morris 10 motor from which I believe the MG TD motor was derived, even to the 12 X 1.5 threads in the crank nose and camshaft nose. The TD spring tensions are installed - 93 lbs. valve open 123 lbs. Although I am not saying these tensions can be applied to the MM I do believe it leaves the way open for considerable pressure increases to be applied.
Bob
http://www.mg-cars.org.uk/mgtd/mgtd_general_data.htm
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

If I get the Alta head off I'll try to get the dimensions for you from that. Might give some guide for experimentation. Oh, and I measured an LP917 today at 4.5 inches between the faces as per the correct measuring method. I didn't have a camera handy at the time. I also picked up some 15 inch rims for the MM today and will get some pics and dimensions for your friend during the week.

Cheers

Rob :D
Cardiff, UK