Convertible Hood - 1951 MM

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
maakjr
MMOC Member: No

Convertible Hood - 1951 MM

Post by maakjr »

Dear Fellow Morris Enthusiasts,

I salvaged a 1951 Convertible MM from a junkyard and restoring it to its former glory. I am almost done with the mechanical and body work but only things pending are the seats ( I am thinking of putting in beetle's seats as the original ones have rotted beyond repair) and get a proper convertible hood.

I need the correct dimensions of the hood to be custom made here in Pakistan - any help would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Ali Khwaja
maakjr@gmail.com
tysonn
Minor Legend

Re: Convertible Hood - 1951 MM

Post by tysonn »

I doubt this forum would be the right place to help you.Even the companies that make the hoods dont use measurements,they have templates and copy them.May stand a better chance contacting these companies direct but I don't hold out much hope of a result.I would either look for another convertible in your own country so you can make your own templates or try to buy a roof thats been removed for replacement over here but theyre very heavy and shipping costs high.
Mick
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Ali - Try emailing this company - ESM http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/ind ... 30600748a2

They should be able to give you the dimensions you require. They do a mail order service and international shipping.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

I hope youre right but cant see why they would bother for nothing.There are a lot of measurements and odd shapes there.
Mick
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

A good trimmer wouldn't need measurements. A few photos would do as a rough guideline and he would insist on taking his own measurements from the actual hood frame. That would be the better way to proceed.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
plumby74
Minor Friendly

Post by plumby74 »

A friend here in Australia simply ordered one of the ready-made hoods from a supplier in England. He fitted it himself, but was never happy with how tight he could get it, and its tendency to flap around in the wind as he drove made him very displeased.

As a result, I had a local, experienced "trimmer" here in Melbourne make me a hood for my 1960 Convertible. I was much more costly, as he spent lots of time getting the hood frame (not the original one) fitting to his satisfaction, then proceeded without templates.

The eventual vinyl hood fits very well, but the car is not driving yet. It seemingly needs a common fix of being left out in the sun for some time to get-out small remaining creases along the front stick or header-rail.

Phil, Melbourne.
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

Many years ago (1984) I build my own open car from a rotten 2CV.
After removed all the rotted parts, I got the idea to make a tourer from it.
So I made a frame for the hood and went with the car to a local company who made the new hood.

I think when you have a good company, take or find pictures from what you want, and they can make it.
To get a perfect fit, they need the car.
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Plenty of suggestions,unfortunately no response from the OP.
Mick