Wipers and body mounting MM

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TvdWerf
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Wipers and body mounting MM

Post by TvdWerf »

When I got my car, 2 wiper motor were there.
One is fitting ok, but no outside nut, the other is about the same, but has outside nuts, like the later models.
What shoud be between the body and the wiper for the MM?[frame]Image[/frame] The end has nothing on it, and the service parts list or servoce manual does not have any picture...

This is the other:[frame]Image[/frame] When I put this one on the place, the bolts for the mounting does not fit.
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Wipers and body mounting MM

Post by mike.perry »

.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Top photo is a Series MM rack. bottom photo is Series MM wheel box assembly on the right. I do not have a photo of the wheel box from the front
[sig]3580[/sig]
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

I have 2, one with a long shaft, without a nut on the outside, the other has a shorter shaft. with a nut on the outside.[frame]Image[/frame]
The one with the nut, not well fitting. and no holes on the side for the mounting on the bracket in the car.[frame]Image[/frame]

And the one in the car, looks like the original one, but without outside nut. mounted with a plate inside, 2 screws under the window rubber, and a place for the screw for mounting it.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame] This one looks the original, he fits, screws on the right place, and the mounting bracket could be connected at once.
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan

Post by BLOWNMM »

G'day Tvd
In your post of June 15 the top 2 wheelboxes are not MM. The 3 rd. pic is of the correct wheelbox part no. 72590. I have attached some pics for you. One of them is a rubber grommet which fits into the hole where the shaft comes out and is a tight fit to the shaft for a good weather seal. Best to lubricate this with vaseline or silocone grease.
Cheers Bob

You will see a nut under the end - this is just to hold it up for taking the pic. It is also much easier to fit the grommet without damaging paintwork by fitting it whilst the wheelbox is removed.
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

Thank you Bob,
Now I have to find a pair of these rubber grommets...
They were not in the box with parts, bolts and nuts when I bought the car :(
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

There are 2 types of Series MM spindle fittings. My photo shows the later type with the thread and nut
[sig]3580[/sig]
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan

Post by BLOWNMM »

G'day again
Don't know if you can source them over there. Have attached a link to a company here in Oz where they may be obtained.
Cheers Bob
http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au/
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan

Post by BLOWNMM »

G, day all
Mike - when did the MM change over to the rack shown in your top pic. Was this same rack used in the Series 11.
Cheers Bob
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

My MM is from '51. chassis nr 122061, and has the first type without a nut.
Because I have a spare got with the car, or better, 2 different, I also have the newer one.
When you put the newer one in it, the mounting holes for the wiper motor to the body are not on the right place.
Also the holes are a little bit too small for the newer type, the thread is damaging the paint when put this in.
When Mike also knows his chassis number(s), we can find out when the newer one was used.
I only know between January and September 1951, a lot is changed.
I only could see, on the pictures from my previous 1956 Series2 with center clock, the nuts were used.
From cars between 1951 and 1956 I did not found any picture from this parts.
I think the newer are mounted with the nut on the box, the older needs the bracket, the holes for this bracket are under the rubber from the front screen.[frame]Image[/frame]
On this picture the holes are clear to see, because of the base coat on the dash.
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

My MM has a screw in one on the passenger side that can only be got at with the windscreen rubber removed and a later series 11 one on the passenger side so I assume it was originally supplied with only one wiper and updated at some point.

Too many Minors so little time.....
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Not got access to my research material, try "Original Morris Minor"
[sig]3580[/sig]
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

Nothing to find in the books, but could it be the difference between the MM and Series II ?
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

As far as I am aware, 1952 Series MM is the same as 1953 on Series II
[sig]3580[/sig]
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

Mine is an end 1951, so somewhere between this one, and 1952, this is changed?
I know a lot is changed, the last months from 1951, so maybe this is also on the list.
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

I fitted a series 2 motor and wiper mechanism (outside nut) to my mm as I felt it was a better solution to water leaks and ease of fitment. I wasn't concerned about originality.
Having said that, the motors themselves are very weak, and my very little used reconditioned motor has just expired. Whoever reconditioned it needs shot having opened it up and seen the state of it :evil:
I had to cannibalise an old motor for the armature as the recon one was totally shot with the wires to commutater having come adrift.
Hopefully it will hold for my 600 mile round trip to the nats - bound to be raining knowing my luck.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

So this means, I should be store my spare motor careful ;)
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

It would be sensible to store it carefully. I'm fortunate that I can remove my entire wiper system in about 15 minutes, but owners of standard vehicles would be a couple of hours - more if early MM.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

i know, and with a little bit luck, I can buy this week a complete donor short bonnet MM, condition reasonable, but dont know if he is restorable.
Has the high light wings, but the lowlight space for the headlights in the inner wings at the front.
Chassis nr and pictures not seen, but maybe tomorrow or end this week.
When he is restorable, I put him under a cover somewhere on my property, to wait to the moment I have time :D
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

Found them ;)
somewhere in a box with bolts and nuts[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

But only in a bad condition...
I think I have to order some new :o
MM '51 LHD sidevalve