Marine Petrol Vedette

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
paulllllll
MMOC Member: No

Marine Petrol Vedette

Post by paulllllll »

Hi All,

I have just joined and hopefully posted this in the correct section. Would really appreciate any help anyone can provide. I own a 1960s Thames cruiser built in Datchet and it has a BMC petrol vedette engine.

I have had the boat about 5 years and not had much trouble with the engine at all.... always have people asking questions about the boat and when I tell them it has a Morris Minor engine, everyone laughs and says it will run forever! She always used to start after 5 or so minutes of trying (as she didn't get started that often), but after leaving her idle for a year or so when I was working abroad, I can not get her started. I am pretty sure no fuel is making it to the carby (I am not great mechanically but I get by...), but the whole episode has made me think that I should get someone in, either an enthusiast or professional who knows these engines, to take a look at this engine at this advanced stage of its life...to keep it going. Sometimes I think about replacing the thing with something new that I don't have to worry about but I really like the idea of keeping the boat as it was when it was built...so with that in mind, does anyone know anyone that could possible help. The boat is currently moored in London.

I only figured out tonight that I think fuel is the problem (after trying to start her I unscrewed the screw on the side of the carby and nothing came out, so I think the fuel line is blocked...), so hopefully the engine is OK. Anyway, rambling a bit. But if anyone can help, or has any suggestions, that would be great. If anyone is interested, more than happy to post some pictures at some stage.

Thanks for reading.
Paul
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Marine Petrol Vedette

Post by mike.perry »

The Vedette engine was produced in several Mks based on the Morris 8 and Morris Minor side valve engines and then the 948 and 1098 A Series engines. Which version do you have?
First check the obvious, are you getting a spark at the distributor and the spark plugs? Do you have magneto ingition? Is the engine turning over on the battery or handle?
The most likely other fault is fuel supply, how much fuel is in the tank? Presumably you have a Solex carb, not the SU fitted to the Minor. Try tipping a small amount of fresh fuel into the carb.
See posting Marine Engine Help. He is restoring a launch with a Vedette engine, You may wish to make contact, he lives in Marlow, where are you?[frame]Image[/frame]
[sig]3580[/sig]
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

The most easy way to test the fuel is to take a gas burner.
only open the gas valve, and let it flow in the carb when you are starting.
without air-filter, and straight in the carb.
every engine will run on that way when the problem is only a fuel inlet, and no problems with a wet spark plug ;).
Not with much power or on high rpm, but enough to warm up a little.
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
nic-clark
Minor Friendly

Post by nic-clark »

Hi there, I also have an old Vedette MK2 engine in my boat - I'm restoring a Fairey day boat. It's been a steep learning curve but its a lovely little engine.

Does yours have a petrol pump in the fuel line? Mine has an SU pump, it makes a very quiet ticking when it is running but worth investigating- it has a brass bolt underneath with a filter in.

Below are some pictures of mine which is the MK 2. I don't have an exact date for it but I think around 1948-50. If yours is from the 60's it could be a later model.

https://goo.gl/photos/EpzC8tR1C3idxGJT8 - Fuel pump
https://goo.gl/photos/mLM5Hw1AYapJBky59 - MK2 12hp engine.

Please excuse the state of the boat at the time of the picture - it looks considerably better now but there was a lot of wood to replace! Engine missing magneto and starter motor.

Is it magneto powered or distributor? Can you post a picture?

Cheers,

Nic
paulllllll

Post by paulllllll »

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies.

Mike.Perry - I have previously worked out what version I have from photos and manuals online, but have forgotten. I need to do it again...realise this is something people will want to know but just wanted to get my message up after meaning to do it for weeks. I am getting a spark at the plugs, not sure of the ignition but I am trying to start off the battery. I have previously topped up the tank to 3/4 but am thinking I should have drained the old fuel out which was probably about 1/2. It is indeed a solex carb and I had actually thought of that. My dad helped me start an old Datsun when I was a kid that had been idle for a long time by tipping fuel directly into the carby by simply lifting the small latch/door on the top, and I thought he was a genius. But this carby is solid...I am not sure where I would tip the fuel in? Am I being daft? On what I believe is the fuel pump there is a small lever-type thing that I pump a few times to get fuel into the pump...was shown that when I first purchased her...was told to give that a few taps and put the chock on 1/3 and start her.

Funnily enough, I bought the boat in Marlow...but she is now moored in London...I am living in Bushey with the girlfriend but spending more time on it as the weather improves :)

Nic-Clark - Boat looks fun, that green engine looks damn familiar! No pictures of my boat though,I will post some pictures asap. I think there is a fuel pump but it doesn't look like that...but there is over a decade between yours and mine so maybe that explains it. I think maybe what I think is the fuel pump is not, but in that case, not sure what it is....I need some photos!

Thanks again everyone...I will comeback with the make and lots of photos soon
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Hi Paul,
The photo of the engine that looks as though it has been used as an anchor is a 948/1098 A Series OHV engine, the early photos of my engine on casters is a Morris 8 side valve engine. The later side valve Vedette is similar. Which engine do you have? There should be a circular brass plate on the engine either behind the dynamo or on the flywheel housing with the engine type and number
[sig]3580[/sig]
nic-clark
Minor Friendly

Post by nic-clark »

I'll look forward to the pictures. Where did you buy her from in Marlow? We have ours at Harleyford Marina.

Cheers!
Raymondu56

Post by Raymondu56 »

I also have a BMC Morris Vedette 958 OHV Marine Engine running my Freeman 22 Mk1 cruiser. I have had trouble recently with the coil overheating and it stalling after a run of maybe one hour. Thats seemed to have been resolved when we put a ballast restore on the coil and reduce the power output. Now it simply starts to lose power when I put the boat in forward gear and the engine just dies. Anyone got any experience in fixing these things, or know somebody in the Horning Norfolk Broads area that can?
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

You have just missed a Morris Minor convoy to Norfolk, someone would probably be able to sort out your problems. You could try the local branch of the Morris Minor Owners Club, brian.glenbri@gmail.com
[sig]3580[/sig]
paulllllll

Post by paulllllll »

Hi All,

Finally have some pics, first is top view of the engine...[frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by paulllllll on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulllllll

Post by paulllllll »

side of engine with carby...[frame]Image[/frame]
paulllllll

Post by paulllllll »

starter motor and alternator...[frame]Image[/frame]
paulllllll

Post by paulllllll »

Gearbox too...[frame]Image[/frame]
paulllllll

Post by paulllllll »

This I think this is the fuel pump on the left...to the right is the bottom of the carby.[frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by paulllllll on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulllllll

Post by paulllllll »

Finally, this is the brass plate from the engine. If someone can help with using it to identifying the make of the engine, that would be great![frame]Image[/frame]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

From the photos it is a Morris 948cc A Series Vedette, Mk? No. 1460. I rebuilt one many year ago. A better photo of the ID plate might reveal more info
[sig]3580[/sig]
814XUW
Minor Friendly

Post by 814XUW »

I don't envy you changing the oil filter in those confined spaces!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Just reading back through the old posts, I was getting confused who had what engine and which fault
The fuel pump in the photo is a mechanical unit which has a lever underneath to pump fuel into the carb. I would suggest if possible disconnecting the inlet pipe if the fuel is stale and pumping fresh petrol from a spare can, otherwise remove the gauze from the front of the carb and tip a little fuel in the mouth. If there are sparks at the plugs and it is still not firing maybe they are in the wrong order, easy enough to sort with a distributor but I don't know where start on a magneto, maybe someone can educate me?
The alternator would be a later addition to the engine.
[sig]3580[/sig]
smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by smithskids »

Looks like its normal coil ignition Mike. :D
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »