Metric studs

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TvdWerf
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Metric studs

Post by TvdWerf »

From the wheel bolts from my MM, I know there are also 2 sizes..
The guy who had the car before me, changed the front drums with suspension, with the ones with the "other" bolts.
The original ones were laying in the car, so I can put it back ;)
Only I just changed the rubbers and bolts from the front before I noticed the drums were not the originals.....
So I have to replace some new parts again in the original front suspension...
I did not check, but I think the spare rear axle is from the same car as the front suspension.
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

There was a general change from BSF to UNF threads around 1951. I think that there was also a change to the half shaft splines as well. From my experience a BSF hub will fit on a UNF shaft with a little free play but a UNF hub will not fit a BSF shaft. It could be the other way round, I am not sure but it illustrates the difference.
The engine threads remained metric with Whitworth heads until those nasty A Series engines were inflicted on the Minor.
Many Series MMs are probably driving around with BSF hubs on one end and UNF on the other. Unless the owner tried to fit the wheel nuts from one end to the other he would probably never know
[sig]3580[/sig]
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

I tried to use the wheel nuts from front to rear without knowing it :D
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by smithskids »

I have got the series E box back from My friend and stripped it. All metric except 2 bsf studs x 3/8" on the bottom for the mounts.but they are metric 8mm fine where they go in to the casing.I will swop the internals over tomorrow!
smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by smithskids »

Swapped the internals round from series E gearbox No VB503 everything fitted perfectly considering 1939 box to 1951 box. They must have been made to very fine tolerances. :D