Lowlight

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Keith
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Lowlight

Post by Keith »

Took my 49 lowlight saloon out for its first test run since the restoration, the grey one in the photo :D . It went extremely well, one of the compressor belts broke which means the radiator will have to come out :( . I have lots of pictures of the restoration, if I get some spare time I'll post them.

[frame]Image[/frame]
ImageImage
Supercharger Engineering
MMOC No 121
52 Series MM convertible, Alta head, supercharger and 1955 Series II facelift van
minor65
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Lowlight

Post by minor65 »

First class !!

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Lovely job Keith!!!

All the running in issues should be sorted by the National :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
Keith
Minor Fan

Post by Keith »

Thanks chaps, the car has some original features which you don't often see as its been off the road for 40 years so hasn't been modified, for example it only has a drivers side windscreen wiper, the rear window has a metal inner surround. There a quite a few differences I noticed during the restoration which I have noted, I'll pass them on to Mike P (he probably already knows them).

Attached are a few before and after shots of the underside, as you can see I have replicated the original lowlight flat floor which tend to get replaced with the later highlight floor when restoring the underside. I made all the flat floor panels myself and gas welded them.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Supercharger Engineering
MMOC No 121
52 Series MM convertible, Alta head, supercharger and 1955 Series II facelift van
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Fantastic job you have done and a credit to you :)
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I wasn't aware that Lowlight floors were different, Keith. Any clues as to the changes? I'm intrigued.
Rob
Cardiff, UK
Keith
Minor Fan

Post by Keith »

The section shown in the attached on my floor, the highlight car floors have a ridged panel that runs the full length of the sill front to back, it is quite different, the lowlight floors are known as flat floors for that reason. The change in design happened on or around the transition to highlight bodies.[frame]Image[/frame]

The picture below which is just an example of the highlight floor (nothing to do with me) arrows shows the ridged sill section running the full length of the body. Although this picture shows a restored underside the original highlight floors are the same except the sill repair panels are separate and not part of the floor on the example.[frame]Image[/frame]
Supercharger Engineering
MMOC No 121
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Thanks, Keith.
Goodness knows how much time I've spent underneath Minors without noticing the difference. Seems obvious now.

I like the colour and it is the one I would perhaps have chosen for myself but HFH200 belongs to my wife. I get to chose oily bits but not shiny ones! Speaking of oily bits, do you make the front pulleys and mounting plates for 918 engines? I seem to recall the crank nose being a metric size rather than the imperial size of the A-series.
Cardiff, UK
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan

Post by BLOWNMM »

G'day all
Rob - the thread in the crank nose is ISO M12 fine X 1.5 mm. pitch. There are two ISO M12 fine pitches one at 1.5mm. and one at 1.25mm.
Cheers Bob

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_metric_screw_thread
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Thanks, Bob.

I was thinking more of the crank OD /pulley ID. Might be possible to find a belt drive pulley from a modern car.
Cardiff, UK
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan

Post by BLOWNMM »

Hi all
Rob - I have just miked a crank nose at 24.99 mm. I guess a pulley with an ID of 25.0 mm. would be a snug fit. I have not kept any old crank pulleys to measure the OD as I have made mine from scratch to take a 4PK polyrib belt. I think it would be hard to find a modern pulley to suit as most if metric are SPZ section or if imperial 3V section. Otherwise probably PK section to suit the driven load. I have machined a SPZ pulley groove in the crank pulley and made a generator pulley with a SPZ groove to suit.
Cheers Bob
Keith
Minor Fan

Post by Keith »

Rob,
Yes I supply the supercharger crank pulley and brackets for the sidevalve Morris 918 and Ford 100e. Contact me in the New Year and I'll advise on the variants of pulleys and brackets, email address in Minor Matters.

I'm currently building a supercharger kit for a Buckler with a Ford 100e sidevalve engine, Willment overhead kit and Morris 8/Series MM rear axle/brakes, which is used for hill climb, it’s a nice project, wish it was mine :cry:

Keith
Supercharger Engineering
MMOC No 121
Keith
Minor Fan

Post by Keith »

Weather was nice today so took the car out for a longer drive back to show the person I purchased it from.[frame]Image[/frame]
Supercharger Engineering
MMOC No 121