wiring

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Johnno
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

wiring

Post by Johnno »

Hi guys,is there anyone in the Romford,Essex area that could possible come to me to assist with wiring problems?
Cant get the front sidelights or rear lights to work and there is some confusion as to the position of wires on headlight switch etc.
Dont really want a complete rewire just to get the old wiring working.I have tried following the wires and repairing as per wiring diagram etc but my electrical expertise is practically non existant.
I would willingly pay for your time,I just want to get the old girl back on the road.Its been a loooong time!
Thaanks.
Power to your Pistons,Johnnydoome.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

If you still have the original woven cloth wiring with all black colour wires then you are wasting your time, the wiring is sixty years old and you will be forever trying to identify which colour black is which and tracing poor connections, which is why you cannot get the lights to work. If you do get a new plastic covered wiring I can probably sort out the problems
Meanwhile the light switch should be wired Term A= 2 xbrown/blue from ignition switch and control box Term A1
Term S1 red side lights, Term S2 Blue wire to dip switch
[sig]3580[/sig]
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Re: wiring

Post by TvdWerf »

I wonder why the original wires are all black, and the schematic is showing the colours?
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by smithskids »

The woven covering was coloured :D
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

"The woven covering was coloured" but time has put paid to that :lol: :lol: :lol:

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

[frame]Image[/frame]

I rewired the MM after about 6 years of having the new loom in the boot....... It became really necessary after being out at an evening rally and coming home with the headlights on and smelling a nasty electrical smell. It wasnt too bad a job so long as you take your time and double check everything! :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I feel your pain!

These wires were under the dash and were the only ones with any colour left on them. All the rest had lost their colour or the covering had come off completely. I noticed that the new Autosparks look has incorrect PVC wire colours beneath the cotton covers. Might make things interesting for the next owners![frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I used Autosparks plastic covered wires, not too bothered about originality I would rather see the colours.
[sig]3580[/sig]