Adding a main beam warning lamp

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Adding a main beam warning lamp

Post by RobThomas »

I'm almost done on the 1949 dashboard and new loom but have come across an interesting issue. The Lowlight never had a main beam warning lamp but they were fitted to later cars. How was this done?
Our 1952 has no warning light, just the switch illumination panel clamped to the dash by the choke cable. The Lowlight, however, had a warning lamp there with a small hole punched through the black fibre trim panel, just above the ignition switch. Was the BMC plan for the warning lamp to REPLACE the illumination bulb or should I move the warning lamp to the right side of the dash and drill another hole in the black panel (or even replace it)?

Seems trivial but the boss has asked me to do this job and I'd rather do it right.

Cheers

Rob
Cardiff, UK
smithskids
Minor Addict

Re: Adding a main beam warning lamp

Post by smithskids »

according to the MM service parts list issue 5 AKD615 (item 1 facia fittings--instruments.bracket and casing assy.--headlamp beam indicator(N.America) Part No.135368 illustration L16. is what you are looking for.Commenced for home and export car Nos.4door saloon RHD 139175. LHD138415. 2 door saloon and tourer 140823. illustration L15 is the side lamp and key light holder. The headlamp indicator is the same type of thing but is just a lamp holder , it doesn't have a slot cut in it.It shines through a small hole punched in the thick black card behind the dash grill. :)
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar
MMOC Member: No

Post by mike.perry »

The main beam on a lowlight was probably considered too feeble to require a warning light, certainly owners I know have seldom been flashed when forgetting to dip their lights.
The main beam warning light is similar to the switch illumination light except that it has a red lens on the end instead of a slot and originally a green cover. It is usefully positioned so that the light is obscured by the driver's hand on the steering wheel. The switch illumination light is clamped by the choke knob on the left and the main beam light is clamped by the starter knob on the right. If you already have a hole in the black panel then it is probably not original but saves you the task of making one although you may find it useful to enlarge the hole to let more light through
[sig]3580[/sig]
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

RobThomas wrote:The Lowlight, however, had a warning lamp there with a small hole punched through the black fibre trim panel, just above the ignition switch.
I fitted that so it didn't fail the MOT on a technicality :wink: