Wiper arms and blades, what are the best?

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TvdWerf
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Wiper arms and blades, what are the best?

Post by TvdWerf »

When I tried to mount the arms and blades from ESM on my MM, my first feeling is the wiper construction is not the same quality as on my Prius.
Is there a better quality on the market, or are this the best ones?
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar
MMOC Member: No

Re: Wiper arms and blades, what are the best?

Post by mike.perry »

There is very little choice of wiper blades, just the blade with a ring in the back which fits through the arm and is secured by a rubber peg. There are two arms that I know of, the all stainless steel version which I found has a rather weak spring and the other type which has a black plastic cover over a stronger spring which holds it to the screen better. The arms should be angled so that the blades park against the bottom of the screen
You are never going to get wipers as good as a modern car, some things have improved in 60 years! The best you can do is make sure that the blades are clean and in good condition and the linkage is tight and there is no free play. Do not use wipers on a dry screen
[sig]3580[/sig]
smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by smithskids »

I use a screen cleaner once a month and it helps enormously. The rain just dissapears and the wipers glide over without squeeking. :D
sparesman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by sparesman »

We have a good stock of genuine original Trico blades and a limited stock of Trico arms in the club stocks.
Bryan
1934 Morris 10/4 in Dark Green / Black - BGO517
1953 S11 Traveller in Birch Grey - oldest survivor ? Export model now reg PPO924
1953 S11 Traveller in Black - 3rd oldest in UK PPX344