MM tourer rear side screens

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: MM tourer rear side screens

Post by RobThomas »

Thanks for that. :D
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Have they arrived yet, Will?
Cardiff, UK
youngcamper
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by youngcamper »

RobThomas wrote:Have they arrived yet, Will?
Hi Rob, I'm currently away from Home, but Dad assures me they've arrived! Thanks once again
Will
ImageImageImage
________1967-Lily________________________1963-Phoebe_______________________1965-Dobby_________
colin addison
Minor Fan

Post by colin addison »

[frame]Image[/frame]
This an interior shot of a newly recovered sidescreen. As you can see the top corner is well held and does not flap at all. The hood frame has four hoops. My old hood had I think a couple of snap fittings to hold the rear screen, but we did not replace these and all seems to be ok without. The old hood was canvas and looked like a home-made job, the sewing lines were not straight, so who knows? maybe the window had been replaced by an amateur? I think the snaps were top rear corner, and maybe top front, I have chucked it because it was in a terrible state. The car is a september '50 model.
Colin
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I guess the sidescreens were made by the same person who made the repairs to the old hood? I've not seen any reference to square sidescreens in any of the books here so it looks to me as if they were made to replace the old originals when they rotted out. Obviously I may still be proved incorrect!
Ultimately, if they keep the rain out and look great then that is all you need! :D

Still another 2+ weeks for Don Hoods to deliver our new top which will give me enough time to finish these stainless sidescreen frames, if the weather holds out enough for me to get to the workshop.
Cardiff, UK
colin addison
Minor Fan

Post by colin addison »

The MM was off the road for 20 years between 1990 and 2010 so still left 40 odd years for things to rot out. I have all the MOTs.
Maybe the rectangular rear screens are a blessing in disguise, Don recovered without comment so I guess they looked OK when unwrapped. It's good thick steel. Added to that I don't imagine these cars were too often garaged through that period, and soft tops will inevitably not like that. I had a TR2 made in 1955 and purchased as a rot box in 1971 for £75, 16 years old and bodywork shot to pieces, feet on the road job. Now you can see cars on the road that are still very good after that time scale, in fact our Peugeot 306 estate (last of the UK cars) is now 15 years old and still has excellent body work.
Colin
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I imagine they are a lot less windy for the rear passengers with that shape, too.
How have you found the material for staying clean and ungrubby? I have 2 kids with sticky mits and live in a forested area with lots of pooping birds about. I've a feeling we've got a hood coming in a slightly darker colour, although the boss may have ordered the same hue as yours without telling me. Never been able to afford Mohair before. :D
Cardiff, UK
colin addison
Minor Fan

Post by colin addison »

Rob, I seem to remember Don only supply in Mohair for the MM hood. in tan/fawn which is correct, so maybe your wife didn't have too much in the way of choices. Regarding dirt etc my car is garaged and as yet hasn't shown any dirt. When not up it is bagged. Will be interesting to see what shows over the coming years. I'm thinking of keeping the hood up when the car is in the garage with an overall car cover to keep the c... off. Although I can't see that Mohair will shrink?
Colin