Engine trouble

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
hvannieuwkoop
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Engine trouble

Post by hvannieuwkoop »

RobThomas wrote:Just a thought, is the distributor mechanism free internally to rotate? The usual "grab the rotor arm and see if you can twist it slightly" idea. Could the advance mechanism be as seized as the clamping bolts were?
Yes it is free to rotate inside. I also took the top layer (contact points and condenser) off so that I can see the advance mechanism. That all looks good to me.
Henk

hvannieuwkoop
Minor Friendly

Post by hvannieuwkoop »

Hi folks

I made some progress again.

-I cleaned the wire connections going to the ignition coil. That seems to make a huge difference for stuttering. I can rev the engine higher now and can go faster up hills. Amazing really what a difference some cleaned connections can make!
-Now it has a hard time starting when it has just been turned off after running for a while. Once it's cooled a bit it starts fine again. Any ideas why this may be?

Thanks
Henk

TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

the hot exhaust pipe under the carburettor can help a little negative, and check the choke cable if he is coming back complete
MM '51 LHD sidevalve