Lowlight wide wheels

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Lowlight wide wheels

Post by RobThomas »

Woohoo! I collected a set of 4 wide wheels for the MM today. They currently have 185x14 tyres but they should take 165x14. First set of these I've ever seen in the flesh. I still need to work out what bolts I'll need for them. Carlo? :D
Cardiff, UK
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Lowlight wide wheels

Post by ManyMinors »

Are the wheel centres, and therefore the bolts, not the same? I haven't ever come across wide wheels for an MM.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

No, unfortunately the centres are designed to take the larger Morris 1000 size hubcap whilst retaining the 4.5 PCD of the MM with its' Nuffield-sourced axle. Bit of a 'mongrel' design in that respect. The Lowlight wheel bolts aren't a great design at the best of times so it might be worth looking into any possible improvement.

I may have a set of larger front Nuffield brakes tracked down (9 inch, I believe) so will have to see what were used on them. Someone else recently posted on this site about their 10 inch front brake drum conversion but he hasn't sent me any details yet.

It would be nice to be able to stop as well as it goes! :D
Cardiff, UK
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

RobThomas wrote:Woohoo! I collected a set of 4 wide wheels for the MM today. They currently have 185x14 tyres but they should take 165x14. First set of these I've ever seen in the flesh. I still need to work out what bolts I'll need for them. Carlo? :D
Are these the wheels from Gavin? If so I will have to have a look at my spare and see what I have that may suit.

Standard MM back axle still right?
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I didn't get them from Gav but they are the same sort of wheels. Someone has knackered the wheelnut seats a little so I'm working through the plan to clean up the angles and get the correct wheelnuts for them. Owing to the original vehicle having the same studs as the MGA I am wondering if they were meant to have 60 degree nuts instead of the Morris 1000 type.

4-inch PCD on the car at the moment with a later axle, 4.5 PCD wheel (with massive 185x80x14 tyre) to go on once the axle is replaced at some point in the future. The other option I'm looking at is some larger drums copied from someone else on here with the 4.5 PCD. Lots of things to think about before going ahead.

Having 'fun' yesterday bleeding the Herald calipers on the Marina conversion. Grrrrrr.

[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan

Post by BLOWNMM »

Rob
I have just measured the wheel bolts off my old MM rear axle I still have. The included angle of the taper is 60 degrees, they are 7/16" BSF and are 0.747" across the flats of the head.
Bob
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

That's great news. Thanks for taking the time to do that for me, Bob. :D

MGA and MGB are both 60 degree but are 7/16 and 1/2 inch UNF threads respectively against the 3/8 UNF of the Minor wheel stud. Vauxhall Viva Rostyle wheels were 7/16.

Looks like I'd really need to get some HT nuts lathed down to 60 degrees unless Carlo knows something else to use.
Cardiff, UK
youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

Looking good!

Out of interest what are the wheels from?

Will
Will
ImageImageImage
________1967-Lily________________________1963-Phoebe_______________________1965-Dobby_________
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Black Maria.[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

RobThomas wrote:unless Carlo knows something else to use.
In a word, no! It looks as if your replies have been more helpful than I could have been :oops: :oops: :wink:

Really need to get my J4 on the road........ its next on the list! :D :D

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I've located some inserts...

[frame]Image[/frame]

... To TIG into the seats to bring them to 60 degrees and to simultaneously bypass the issue of wear from incorrect nuts. If anyone has recently bought new wheelnuts they might want to have a look at them to see they aren't 60 degrees. Minor wheels take 66 degrees.
[Tip: lay 3 together with the tapers pointing inwards and 3x60 degrees makes 180.][frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK