clutch noise

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

clutch noise

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Took my MM out for a spin and when depressing the clutch pedal there was a whirring noise, now i think it is the release bearing but i thought it was solid and not a ball race bearing, and also the noise carried on for a while after the car was going along. Gearbox oil was checked before spin so i dont think its the gearbox.Now should i order a new clutch and then strip and fit or strip and then order,not sure of the clutch condition as it was in the car when purchased. should i replace the relay lever while i am at it , and how do i cure the clutch pedal staying down when the brake pressed at same time.
Regards Ian

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Re: clutch noise

Post by RobThomas »

Well, the last one is quite straight forwards, unlike the first. The clutch pedal slips around the shaft of the brake pedal so you need to lube it so they run free of each other. One of those 'Carpet up and remove those brass screws' jobs.

The bearing is one of the carbon ones like the later cars. The possibilities include the carbon doughnut sliding round inside the carrier. If you need any photos I have some engines and boxes on the shelf at the moment so I can send off whatever you think might help.

Rob :D
hfh200@hotmail.co.uk
Cardiff, UK
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

thanks for that I will have a think about what i wil do i do have a spare gearbox but i dont think it has a release bearing i have looked at the manual at the gearbox section I will let you know if pictures will help
Regards Ian

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

The clutch cover for the 918 is the same as the 948, I believe. If that IS correct you might find a 948 bearing fits. I'll check the part numbers for you tonight.
I have a 9-spring cover somewhere that has higher clamping loads and a blue competition friction plate. Not as pleasant to drive but it suggests there are still improved components out there. Herald circa 1200cc cover rings a bell.

...and a quick google later...

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TRIUMPH-HERALD-1 ... Swh-1W4ClJ
Cardiff, UK
Veitchy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Veitchy »

Any chance its a spigot bearing ?
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Good thinking. I'd not mentioned that since it ought to stop making a noise once the clutch has engaged, but, you never know! If some enterprising soul had replaced the carbon thrust with a heavy duty flat-faced bearing then you might experience that noise if the bearing was failing. Something like... http://www.northwestimportparts.com/MGB ... d1753.aspx
I have one for a 1275 but it was not very reliable.
Cardiff, UK
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Update
Before pulling the engine or box out I decided to have a think about the problem, the only thing that had changed was i put a new fan belt on the car the day before.Now this being a side-valve and as yet I have not put on the water pump I acquired a long time ago, the fan blades are mounted on the dynamo. Turning the blade by hand it cleared the bottom of the radiator but one blade was fairly close.I noticed that the n/s engine mount was more squashed than the other so i use a bar behind the block to push the engine forwards and the blade touched the bottom radiator tank and I could see the mark on the rad, also when i applied forward pressure to the blade it moved forwards as well ,the dynamo shaft was moving in the housing so bearing is worn.So dynamo off for refurb, there used to be a local man that did dynamo and alternator refurbs,I will have to see if he is still in business. Just to test,started the car and depressed the clutch, no noise, so the clutch linkage was making the engine go forwards ( if that makes sense ), and the fan belt was making the blades go forwards as well.
Thanks for all your input folks
Regards Ian