lets see your heaters

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tortron
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

lets see your heaters

Post by tortron »

I have a wee collection of heaters going, because I keep finding one a little better than the last.

I have a tudor mk3 "fresh air"
on the right

and both of the smith models on the right

I also have a complete smiths 'beehive' with shroud and fresh air flap from a later minor

I'm asking because I want to see how they are mounted in a smm.
The manual shows the standard beehive type, with fan switch on the front fitted to a smm (infact its how to fit the factory option including water pump ect, right at the back of the manual)

My car has the 2 holes under the centre of the dash
but if you mount the heater here the gear stick knocks it, and the (short behind steering column) parcel tray would need to be cut.
This heater out of the later cars is perhaps twice as thick as the other 2 smiths heaters I have
These heaters could be mounted higher up under the dash itself to avoid cutting the parcel tray, and out of the way of the lever.

So, I'm asking if you have a heater in your smm to share the secrets of its mounting :lol:
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: lets see your heaters

Post by RobThomas »

I'll get some pics and dimensions for you today.

Rob
Cardiff, UK
tortron
Minor Fan

Post by tortron »

Cheers Rob

The manual shows the heater attached to the parcel tray. But in order for that to happen with the short tray it would need to be on an angle or spaced further back. Which may not be possible with the deeper beehive Smith's.
There's a full parts list for a heater conversion in the manual but I don't think it made any mention of extra brackets.
I only noticed itbwasnt going to bolt right in after putting the parcel tray back in after many years of tripping over it in the garage. There's actually 2 holes drilled in it on the driver's side that would match the spacing for the 2 heater bolts. Maybe someone had one there at some stage
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Parcel shelf has seen better days. Are there any specific dimensions or photos I can get you?

Out of those 6 heaters I have versions 3,4 and 5 in the shed. 3 is an electric heater which is still in the box with instructions and leads. Do you want pics of any of them??
Cardiff, UK
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

My MM came with part of the Tudor one on the top right, it had a large circle with 4 smaller circles drilled thought the bulkhead and the fan part sat on the parcel shelf. It was missing the bit that takes the heat from the radiator, will get some pics another time for you!

Too many Minors so little time.....
tortron
Minor Fan

Post by tortron »

The Tudor one I have and the basic Smith's junior both have bolts on the back for the bulkhead.
Though the Smith's one with the doors came with a bracket there which bolts to the floor. It was in a minor pickup.

Could you measure the depth of the bracket which joins the heater to the dash. I'm wondering if the early ones had a deeper bracket or spacer. The one I have was made in 1962.

Making a new bracket isn't any problem, I will probably make a heater shroud to increase the efficiency as well. Just wanting to check how it "should be" done
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Not going to be possible to get under there with a ruler to measure it because the car is blocked in the garage by another one and I can't open the door far enough to lay down over the seat. To much metalwork in my back to twist round in there! :D

I just stuffed the camera in the general area and pressed the fire button a few times. Hope that helps.
Cardiff, UK
tortron
Minor Fan

Post by tortron »

Thanks, that's pretty much what I expected
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

My heater kindly ruptured and destroyed a lot of the under dash upholstery!
It is now on its way to Dorset via Ebay in the hope that the new owner has better luck than I had in finding a new core for it!
Now running my Moggy in original non heater spec. with new parcel shelf and soundproofing.[frame]Image[/frame]
P.S. Don't let the picture fool you - the core is rotten as a pear - only the paint holding it together! :wink: