Engine value?

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Engine value?

Post by RobThomas »

I have a rebuilt engine here that I don't need.

USHM2 (non waterpump) for an early MM. Ground crank with new bearings, new pistons in rebored block, new valves, guides, timing chain etc and ready to be bolted in. Any suggestions as to what I should sell it for?
Cardiff, UK
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Engine value?

Post by les »

Add up the prices of the new parts and ask that price, don't include the assembly time but you must have a price in mind. You're not new to this game! :o

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I didn't build it so I'd need to work out the price of each individual part. Somewhere between £500 and £1000? I got it as part of a job lot.

I'm not used to selling stuff, only buying. :D
Cardiff, UK
TvdWerf
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by TvdWerf »

To rebuild my USHM3, pistons, reboring, crankshaft grinding and new bearings , new valves and guides, was in total around 2000 euro, without my own time to build it together.
so GBP 1000 is a cheap price I think.

The only reason for me to spend the money, was the engine number.
It is the original one for my MM, so matching numbers ;)
But I sold a spare USHM3 engine for 1100 euro, also with new pistons.
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

It might fund another Alta, unless anyone wants to trade one? :D
Cardiff, UK
JohnV
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by JohnV »

RobThomas wrote:It might fund another Alta, unless anyone wants to trade one? :D
Now THERE'S an idea! :)

I'll have the same challenge in a year or so, as I have a reputedly rebuilt USHM3 in a crate, half-disassembled along with all the rest of the bits (thanks, Bryan Gostling) to finish it up.

The only problem is that it's in Reno, Nevada, and I'm in upstate New York ... so a road trip of 2,750 miles is required. Next spring, perhaps?
I have two Minors in upstate New York. One is the 1961 Traveller my dad bought new that year in London, where I was born. It's had a hard life but is still running cheerfully at 54K miles. The second is the oldest Minor confirmed to survive in North America, a LHD high-light Tourer built in April 1949. It's a total basket case, but will be restored over the coming years.
sparesman
Minor Fan

Post by sparesman »

TvdWerf wrote:To rebuild my USHM3, pistons, reboring, crankshaft grinding and new bearings , new valves and guides, was in total around 2000 euro, without my own time to build it together.
so GBP 1000 is a cheap price I think.

The only reason for me to spend the money, was the engine number.
It is the original one for my MM, so matching numbers ;)
But I sold a spare USHM3 engine for 1100 euro, also with new pistons.
Met an MMOC member in Liege, Belgium today who has an early MM under restoration and may welcome some help / advice. Told him you were well into MMs and lived in the Netherlands so reasonably close. He is Italian but speaks French and a little English. If you email me I will send you his contact details when I get home.
A couple of MMs turned up at the MMCN meet 4 weeks ago, both from same owner near Breda.
Regards
Bryan
1934 Morris 10/4 in Dark Green / Black - BGO517
1953 S11 Traveller in Birch Grey - oldest survivor ? Export model now reg PPO924
1953 S11 Traveller in Black - 3rd oldest in UK PPX344