series mm air filter

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
seriesmm_1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

series mm air filter

Post by seriesmm_1 »

Hi folks,
How do you clean the air filter on the series mm,
Regards
BrianR

palacebear
Minor Legend

Re: series mm air filter

Post by palacebear »

I have the workshop manual AKD530A here. If its a UK spec car with an 'air silencer' fitted, then according to section B12 (page B16), it requires no maintenance. The export type oil-bath 'air cleaner' is identifiable by having a wing-nut holding it in place. The element can be removed, cleaned with paraffin (presumably petrol with usual safety precautions). Top up the oil on the shelf beneath the element. Use light grade oil (SAE20 quoted but SAE30 these days probably). There is a level indicator. Don't over-fill or you'll draw excess oil into the combustion chambers. If the air box is sludgy, clean the whole lot, not just the element.
1956 4-door called Max
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Yup, the UK spec one was just there to reduce the 'sucking' noise of the intake. I binned mine since it wasn't really able to do much more than filter out spanners and screwdrivers. Might be possible to gut one and fit a K&N cone filter inside it. If you've ever opened up an export filetr....Y U K !
Cardiff, UK
seriesmm_1
Minor Fan

Post by seriesmm_1 »

Thanks fellas,
didn't think to look up manuals
Regards
BrianR