Brakes and Bearings

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mark_powell
MMOC Member: No

Brakes and Bearings

Post by mark_powell »

Yes, a Series II owner decided he didn't have enough problems with tracking down parts or having such an utterly modern car to drive around in, so he bought himself a 1949 Tourer to really make things hard.

I love my Tourer, I really do. But I would just like to be safe in the knowledge that it's had new brake components front and back along with new bearings too. I'd really appreciate some help. Firstly with the delicate matter of either having the current shoes re-shoed (does anyone have any recommendations for this) or some support and guidance in replacing to the later (more familiar to me) brakes.

Secondly, bearings. What's going on in that area. I can't find any diagrams or anything of the arrangment or indeed a 'how to check' guide. They're grumbly which I'm 99% is because the car has been stood for a few years, but I want to make sure everything is hunky dory before I go further than just around the block. Can anyone help?

:lol:

Thank you in advance.

Mark.
Mark Powell
Series II Register

Marian - 1955 Series II Facelift
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Brakes and Bearings

Post by RobThomas »

If you get a set of 7-inch 1955-ish backplates, new cylinders/shoes/springs then they are bolt-on. Just keep the drums. All 7 inch shoes are the same throughout the years. ESM sell everything you need.
Cardiff, UK
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

not sure but the rears are a drum and hub in one unit,not that I've had anything to do with them,so could be wrong.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Rear bearings are easy to change and the brake components, apart from the drums themselves, are the same (-ish) as the 948.

Mark. If it helps, you can call me on o1446, 795489
Cardiff, UK
sparesman
Minor Fan

Post by sparesman »

The club stocks original brake cylinders and sometimes we have original type rivetted brake shoes , and also have modern bonded ones.
Bryan , Club Spares
1934 Morris 10/4 in Dark Green / Black - BGO517
1953 S11 Traveller in Birch Grey - oldest survivor ? Export model now reg PPO924
1953 S11 Traveller in Black - 3rd oldest in UK PPX344