Gear lever removal

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
peteatreat
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Gear lever removal

Post by peteatreat »

Hi
Please could I be advised how to remove the gearbox lever from its housing.
Thank you
Pete
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by les »

First remove the gear lever knob, then unscrew and remove the floor mounted metal surround and rubber cover. You will then see a dished plate, remove the three screws that secure the plate and then the lever can be pulled out. You should see a brass spring loaded plunger after removing the lever, just make sure it doesn't fall into the opening.

peteatreat
Minor Friendly

Post by peteatreat »

Thank you Les for your reply.
I’m sorry my post was perhaps a little too general as I think your suggestion may be for a later gear box.
I have provided images below to try to clarify my problem.
The drawing breaks down the components that apply.
Parts numbered 17, 18 and 19 have been removed leaving the lower ‘ball’ part of the gear lever still in situ in part numbered 15. That is where the problem seems to be. I can’t work out how to release the complete gear lever from that position. We have managed to get the engine and gearbox out as a complete unit but can envisage having problems when it comes to refitting it with the gear lever in place.
Sorry for the lengthy explanation but hope it is fairly clear.
I also attach an image of a similar gearbox with the rubber gaiter in place for additional reference.
Thank again for your help.
Attachments
9D7D1919-AE06-44CA-8E43-C7D3DF664EAC.png
9D7D1919-AE06-44CA-8E43-C7D3DF664EAC.png (522.15 KiB) Viewed 2510 times
AAF8CB4A-BD23-4CBC-8A4C-F9C5505DFBE2.png
AAF8CB4A-BD23-4CBC-8A4C-F9C5505DFBE2.png (4.32 MiB) Viewed 2510 times
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Ah, sorry Pete, I usually click on 'new posts' when on this forum so when your post arrived l didn't realise it was in the 'series mm register' topic. As you guessed l was describing the procedure for a later model.!
I'll leave this one to those more familiar with your gearbox.

smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

You need to compress the spring item 108 and knock out the pin at the bottom. To remove the box from the car just take the top off and cover it with a blank made from cardboard to keep the dirt out. Put it in neutral first. Watch out for the selector rod springs when you undo the top of the box cover. Happy Christmas. smithskids.
Last edited by smithskids on Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Remove bolts holding down top cover, remove split pin at bottom of gear lever, remove plate(if fitted) and spring. Lever 'ball' drops out of the bottom of the cover plate
Cardiff, UK
peteatreat
Minor Friendly

Post by peteatreat »

Thank you smithkids and Rob. I shall follow your advice prior to the engine refit.
Cheers
Pete
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Have a gooood look at the spring. They do have a nasty habit of cracking and giving you a sudden floppy gearstick and crunchy bearings if bits drop into the cogs.
Cardiff, UK