Sloppy brake & clutch pedal shaft

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Sloppy brake & clutch pedal shaft

Post by philthehill »

If the pedal shaft is too tight you will need to relieve the bushes. The weight of the pedal disconnected from the master cylinder should be sufficient to allow the pedal shaft to rotate.

You will most likely find that the pipe union has bell-ended and will not enter the union bolt.

If that is the case you will need to replace the pipe which goes from the union bolt to the rear axle flexible pipe.

Replacing that pipe is not difficult.

gtt1951
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Sloppy brake & clutch pedal shaft

Post by gtt1951 »

Thanks Phil.
I ended up doing the sequence I had written about as a possibility. Had to get the M/C loose again, but first undid the banjo bolt.
Screwed the banjo through bolt onto the brake pipe union and it went in nicely, so not belled. Left it done up only a few turns so the pair could rotate around the brake pipe.
The tricky bit was to get the banjo bolt through the banjo and started on the M/C without losing the copper washer!
As I screwed in the banjo through bolt, I eased the M/C back into position.
IMG_20190603_155125.jpg
IMG_20190603_155125.jpg (874.14 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
I then had to fix the M/C with the 2 bolts and take off the G-cramp bending the torsion bar out of the way (getting a dab hand at this operation). Once the M/C was secured, I then tightened up the banjo through bolt, allowing the pipe union to turn with it.
Then I tightened up the pipe union
IMG_20190603_160124.jpg
IMG_20190603_160124.jpg (925.86 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
Finally, I replaced the pedals, using a new clutch pedal with shaft, new spacer and original brake pedal (which had to be fitted with its new push-rod and yoke) and that blasted, difficult to fit, pedal return spring.
IMG_20190603_164918.jpg
IMG_20190603_164918.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 1070 times
The only thing that I haven't managed to refit is the Clutch Pedal return spring - the original modified LHD pedal had a spring fitted and attached somewhere on the chassis leg - this spring fell off when removing the LHD pedal originally.
I cannot now find were this spring should to anchored (the expolded-view diagrams in the parts manual don't show connection points.
The clutch pedal does return, but this is using the springs in the clutch lever, I think.
How should it be fitted and where?
Regards, George.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.