valve cotters

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

valve cotters

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi all
I am about to grind the valves on my side valve engine as one of the cylinders was down on pressure, is there a surefire way to put the valve cotters back in place if the engine is still installed in the car,or would it be easier to take engine out and put it on the bench as i will also have to do the tappet clearances and i know that is a job that is difficult enough :evil: :evil: .
Ian

plumby74
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: valve cotters

Post by plumby74 »

You will have moved on from this need, but I thought the cotters were just stuck into place with a little grease, while you take the tension off the spring/lower the valve cap.
BTW, did you overcome the need for re-hardened tappet bolts? I have quite a few worn/indented ones here, in Melbourne, Australia.
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi
Thanks for asking.
Yes put grease on screwdriver tip to replace cotters, its harder to fit the first cotter then swing around the back and fit second,the first screwdriver had slight magnetism which meant the cotter would not leave screwdriver tip so had to find another. I bought original type spring compressor as modern one wont work.
I have a spare set of bolts but they are all worn as well, when i came to do tappet gaps I took a couple of thou off settings, ran engine any noisy tappets took another thou off setting and l ran the engine again, all quiet now.
Ian

smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

I must admit at my age, 80 , I find it easier to take the engine out with my stacker truck and work on it on the bench. Set tappets, remove sump and clean, check bearings and back in again same day. Good for a couple of years then.!!
c a addison
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by c a addison »

Yes, My mate Geoff with an MM two months newer than mine have jointly agreed that taking the engine out makes life much easier. But we double and triple check all the gaps and ensure all is tightened well before putting the engine back in. I also have an engine lift which helps!
Colin