Sump gasket

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953

Moderator: Moderators

ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Sump gasket

Postby ian.mcdougall » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:53 pm

Hi all
Is it necessary to soak cork seals and the rope (?) seals in oil before fitting on side valve sump
Ian

alanworland
Minor Legend

Re: Sump gasket

Postby alanworland » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:20 am

I suspect the answer is yes, but I replaced my sump recently and 'massaged' grease into them which also helps them stay in place.
Still got small leak from timing cover - but I always have had!
You'll find you will probably have to trim rear and front seal to length to give correct compression, have to give it your own judgement on how much.

Alan

ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Postby ian.mcdougall » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:22 pm

Thanks Alan
Does any one know where i can get sump plug and is it the same as the same as gearbox plug

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Postby philthehill » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:32 pm

I do not know if the sump plug for the earlier Morris is the same but I went to a pre war Morris meeting last weekend and there were quite a few of the large sump plugs being offered for sale and it did cross my mind SV Morris Minor engine. They looked to be very similar in size and shape to the sump plug you require.

You could try John Cooke cookejohn@hotmail,com of The Cooke Group, Leicester as they hold quite a few pre war Morris spares.

Phil

alanworland
Minor Legend

Postby alanworland » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:12 pm

Yes, gearbox and engine sump threads are the same size, I've got a magnet fitted in gearbox plug to pickup any stray teeth!

Alan

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Postby DAVIDMCCULLOUGH » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:43 pm

Worth trying Bryan Gosling for a sump plug, Mike Perry had a batch made a few years back and Im fairly sure Club Spares has any that are left.

Too many Minors so little time.....