Sump gasket

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Sump gasket

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi all
Is it necessary to soak cork seals and the rope (?) seals in oil before fitting on side valve sump
Ian

alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Sump gasket

Post by alanworland »

I suspect the answer is yes, but I replaced my sump recently and 'massaged' grease into them which also helps them stay in place.
Still got small leak from timing cover - but I always have had!
You'll find you will probably have to trim rear and front seal to length to give correct compression, have to give it your own judgement on how much.

Alan
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Thanks Alan
Does any one know where i can get sump plug and is it the same as the same as gearbox plug

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I do not know if the sump plug for the earlier Morris is the same but I went to a pre war Morris meeting last weekend and there were quite a few of the large sump plugs being offered for sale and it did cross my mind SV Morris Minor engine. They looked to be very similar in size and shape to the sump plug you require.

You could try John Cooke cookejohn@hotmail,com of The Cooke Group, Leicester as they hold quite a few pre war Morris spares.

Phil

alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

Yes, gearbox and engine sump threads are the same size, I've got a magnet fitted in gearbox plug to pickup any stray teeth!

Alan
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Worth trying Bryan Gosling for a sump plug, Mike Perry had a batch made a few years back and Im fairly sure Club Spares has any that are left.

Too many Minors so little time.....