Chrome & Trim?

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
EYV65
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Chrome & Trim?

Post by EYV65 »

Does anyone know the date which chrome grille was stopped? I have a 51 SMM and want to know if she should have painted or chrome.

Also, what date did quarter light latch change from round to the squarer type along with the door pull?

Any other features that would be date related would be most helpful as i wish to know if my MM has been modified or changed, and i would like her to look correct and be more or less original.

** edited to add.. I have the book 'Original Morris Minors' but it only states "Early" and "Late" but what months or dates are early and late?? :-? :roll:

Moggie Mad
1965 Original Pickup
1965 Pickup (Originally a Van)
1959 Van
1970 Van
1956 2 Door
1961 4 Door
1951 2 Door
smithskids
Minor Addict

Re: Chrome & Trim?

Post by smithskids »

My tourer is SMM97191 May 1951. It has a painted grill and painted window frames with the square type quarter light window catch, dont forget the korean war was goimg on and chrome was scarce. Morris motors must have had hundreds of spare doors stored in warehouses ready for the production line and my car has 1950 doors according to the Triplex marking on the window glass and Jan 51 for the windscreen so take your pick. My car was built with one piece bumpers( Jan51) and highlight wings, but to match the rest of British Ratin company fleet was converted to a lowlight by Stewart and Arden after delivery. I have a picture taken in 1959 of the new reps issued with brand new mini vans outside Felcourt Manor where their headquarters were. They were now called Rentokill. Good luck searching.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Chrome grille was discontinued in March 1951(chassis number 90117) but apparently remained an optional extra for 'a short while' after that date.
1956 4-door called Max
Dean
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Dean »

The chrome was a separate brass insert was it not rather than the later one piece pressing? I have a two piece brass insert grill off an Australian spec KD series 2 lying in the shed as my spare.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535