Piston rings

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Johnno
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Piston rings

Post by Johnno »

In need of four ring piston bottom rings plus 40 thou for side valve engine.
Any help please.
Power to your Pistons,Johnnydoome.
JohnV
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Piston rings - try GBH Spares?

Post by JohnV »

MM owner David McCullough recommended GBH Spares to me, and they provided what I needed: <info@gbhspares.co.uk>

Brian who works there was very helpful, and wrote me the following:

"We have had ring sets done for this engine……though we need to check that you don’t have an odd piston, which is rare but you may have it

"Our kit is a composite ring set which has 2.2mm thick compression rings and both 3 and 4mm thick oil rings in it……it is £53 plus VAT and carriage….we can ship to a U.K. address and we take Mastercard and Visa

"The odd piston has 3/32” compression rings…..so our kit won’t fit that.

"If you can check your compression ring thickness and if 2.2mm…. let us know what you would like to proceed."
I have two Minors in upstate New York. One is the 1961 Traveller my dad bought new that year in London, where I was born. It's had a hard life but is still running cheerfully at 54K miles. The second is the oldest Minor confirmed to survive in North America, a LHD high-light Tourer built in April 1949. It's a total basket case, but will be restored over the coming years.